Zidoo Z9X and Sonos Arc

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by GreenandGold831, Dec 28, 2022.

1. GreenandGold831

GreenandGold831 New Member

I've been using my Sony x800M2 to watch my 4k UHD Blu Rays, but I've also been ripping my movies to my computer in hopes of not having to use the discs anymore. My Arc won't play DTS:X or DTS-HD, but I could still get lossless multichannel PCM because the Sony would decode the signal and send lossless multichannel PCM to the Arc. I picked up a Zidoo Z9X and I noticed that the only option for PCM is stereo PCM so that doesn't work. Is there a Zidoo model that will do this? If not, is there any other option besides getting a new AVR?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I'm afraid not - decoding proprietary codecs like DTS & Dolby to multichannel PCM requires appropriate licencing which Zidoo does not have.

If you need to use an audio return path you need equipment with E-ARC instead of ARC for lossless codecs. A much better and less problematic solution is to connect directly to the AVR - ie. Zidoo > AVR > Display.

*EDIT* Haha - just realised a Sonos "Arc" is a product and you weren't referring to ARC - however the answer still stands - the Zidoo will not decode to multi channel PCM...

3. GreenandGold831

GreenandGold831 New Member

Thanks for the quick response! That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to confirm. I've always used an AVR, but when we bought an older house this year with plaster walls, I didn't want to put a bunch of holes in the walls so I went with a sound bar. I tried the Sonos at Costco and thought it sounded amazing.......I had no idea it wouldn't support every audio codec like my previous AVR's, so that's my fault for not doing enough research. Plus side is I bought it at Costco so I can return it lol.