Chat Zidoo Z9X and Blu-ray

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Chrisban, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Chrisban

Chrisban New Member

Good morning all. I am new to this forum. I just bought a Zidoo Z9X and I can't play Blu-ray BDMV files in the Theater app. The cover is displayed and when I start playing, the screen stays black and then the message: “cannot play video” appears. Do you know where the problem could come from? Is it a question of encryption / protection of the Blu-ray movie? In fact, I copy the Blu-ray files to a hard drive that I plug into my Zidoo. I then try to recover the BDMV. Is this the right process? Or do you have to convert the blu-ray to MP4 in order to play it? thank you for your answers.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If you're not ripping the BluRay correctly and removing copy protection then of course the Zidoo will not play the files. No media player will.

Personally I would use MakeMKV to rip to MKV (don't use MP4!) to get rid of the all the menu nonsense.

3. Chrisban

Chrisban New Member

thank you very much for this advice. So I will try with Make MKV. The question was perhaps obvious, sorry, but I'm new to the ripping of my blu-ray collection thank you again!

4. Markswift2003

Don't worry, everyone has to start somewhere - In case you didn't know this, MakeMKV is free while in beta (and it's always been in beta!). The key changes every couple of months, but a new beta key is always available here:

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

I always rip just the soundtrack and the subtitle (if necessary) that I need (along with the video :) ).

5. Chrisban

Chrisban New Member

Thank you for this info. I just did a test, it works fine now on the Z9X with a .mkv! I just have one more question about the sound because the playback seems to be done in stereo on my 5.1 installation. It must be a matter of selecting the type of soundtrack in makemkv, as you specified. I will look at that. Many thanks

6. Markswift2003

Check your audio setting on the Zidoo - set to Auto.

7. Chrisban

Chrisban New Member

Hello and best wishes for 2023! First of all, thank you for your valuable advice. The sound of my mkv files is now well adjusted.
    On the other hand, I still have one or the other question about the video settings of the Z9X for reading these mkvs.
    Indeed, I find that the image lacks sharpness and definition compared to the original blu-ray. These are films in HD 1080 in AVC H.264 / 24 Hz (data indicated on the blu-ray).

So I set the Zidoo resolution to 1080p 24Hz, standard Dolby Vision mode is on, MaxCLL and MaxFALL is off.
    For HDR, I selected Dolby Vision VS10 (for all content).
    The HDR to SDR function is in Movie Mode.
    In the color settings, the Zidoo is in priority YUV444 8BIT (not 4K), the HDMI range is in auto and Deep Color in off.
    Finally, in the "playback" tab, the frame rate is set to Off.
    Am I in the right or are there things to change to play these mkv files better?

Thank you very much for your reply, yours,
    Chris

8. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Sorry to necro this comment, but what is the issue with mp4 compared to mkv?

9. Markswift2003

MKV is better supported.