Zidoo UHD3000 HDMI audio, short sound interruptions

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Bill-Z9X, May 14, 2023.

1. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I used both HDMI outputs on the UHD3000, HDMI Main->TV and HDMI Audio ->AVR, and kept having short sound dropouts. This happened 1 or 2 times with almost every film, for about 1 - 2 seconds. Whether MKV or MP4, and with different sound formats.
    When I rewound and watched the part with the interruption again, the interruption did not occur.
    Setting for HDMI was separate mode and for audio RAW.
    At the moment of interruption, there was no change in the AVR display. So it was not an interruption of the sound stream.
    New updates, switching off the power and resetting to factory settings did not help, the interruptions were always there.
    I could not assign the problem anywhere.
    Since about 1 week I have changed the outputs on a test basis, I only use HDMI Main. I am on holiday and have already watched at least 10 films and the interruption has not occurred with any of them.

In principle, I had no advantages from the separate HDMI connection, so I'm sticking with the one HDMI connection solution for now.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know if anyone has also observed this.
    It looks like a bug in the Zidoo to me.

2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Using a single HDMI Output has always scared me and thought the only way to achieve both controllable Audio and video by doing this was to invoke HDMI ARC/eARC on your Display and AVR. As a consequence when I bought my Samsung Q950R TV 3 years ago and bought my Z1000 Pro, this scared me with the consequence that I bought an Audio/Video Splitter. (I also upgraded my media player from an Egreat A11, which did have separate HDMI Outputs. It didn't work so bought an HDFury Integral which did work and that subsequently was returned for a Vertex2 which I've been more than happy with ever since particularly as I could watch Dolby Vision films in this mode on my Samsung via VS10 - LLDV as well as HDR10+ ones.

Then my Samsung panel blew and so upgraded to my current LG OLED TV so effectively dumped HDR10+ (not sure if HDR10+ is worth writing about, especially as Samsung are now adopting DV lol!). So it quickly became apparent that I could dispense with the Vertex2 if I connected as I described in my first sentence. I did invoke HDMI ARC/eARCbut it was more trouble than it was worth given version 2 of the Devil's CEC, called Simplink on LG displays! So I reverted back to using the Vertex2 for my Zidoo.

In answer to your question (I hear you ask :)) I've never had the short drop outs you describe but more than enough issues connecting via just using the one HDMI Output. So what you're saying is that your UHD3000 is connecting to your AVR and then the AVR to your display? I'm guessing your AVR is more up to date with its Audio/Video capabilities than my Yamaha but I really don't like the term "AVR" - my Yamaha was bought as a Receiver so Video passthrough wasn't on the agenda when I bought it. But like I said I've never had an issue connecting using my "splitter" - the Vertex2 and I'm pretty sure if I were to use a UHD3000 in my system I wouldn't too, using both HDMI Outputs. I assume you are using one of the Internal drives to store your films? I know people have issues sometimes via a NAS. I use 2 x NAS but only for Audio or my HD (or less) films - my Zidoo's Internal Drive is used soley for UHD ones.

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  3. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

@rozel Thank you for a detailed answer.
    I have no problems using only one HDMI output. I have only used the second one until now because it was available. I have no need to use a Vertex2 for 250 - 450 € :eek: , my reciever can do Dolby Vision and passes the video signal unchanged without any problems.

I mostly play movies from the internal SSD. Sometimes from the NAS, but I don't notice any difference, even with UHD remuxes, so the problem doesn't come from that.

I suspect that the problem I described is only related to the "HDMI audio only" output and only UHD3000 has this output. With the Zidoo Z1000 Pro you are fortunately not affected.

4. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

I have this problem on the UHD3000 using the dual HDMI outs but in my experience it has only been with DD+ files.