Zidoo clips Below Black/Above White ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by Takis, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Takis

Takis New Member

Hello,
    have anyone noticed that the Zidoo seems not to pass Below Black/ Above White when using brightness/contrast patterns?
    I tested with a LG B7 oled, a Panasonic VT50 plasma and a JVC X500 projector. I tried all possible combinations in the menus without any luck.
    I have a Zidoo X10 with the latest firmware but the same problem existed before.
    Any ideas?

2. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Do you mean the black and white clipping test pattern in SDR? Everything's correct for me using FW 1.4.6 (didn't check with newer FWs) setting HDMI resolution to 3840x2160p / 60Hz, deep color 10 bit and color space Auto. Just checked on Panasonic OLED.
    With newer FWs I remember seeing an HDMI range setting option. Maybe that could be your problem? You need to set it the same way on the Zidoo and your displays: I suggest HDMI standard / limited to correctly reproduce 16-235 range.

3. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

I use the limited with my sony, i asked wesk05 on the Kodi forum, there are many brand / model of TV that uses the limited

4. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

I don't use Kodi but the Zidoo player, so I can't help if your issue is with Kodi

5. Takis

Takis New Member

Hi, yes I mean the BB/AW patterns we use to check clipping (you can download them here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html)
    In my Zidoo X10 I cannot see below 16 and above 235 (if I raise brightness and reduce contrast respectively), and I tried all possible settings' combinations. I have the latest firmware but also with the previous, I had the same issue. I am not sure if the previous was 1.4.6.
    Can you confirm that you can see BB/AW with those patterns? If so I may have to downgrade until the fix this (not sure I can do that).

Thanks!

6. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Hi, if you use HDMI standard / limited setup (on source and TV) you don't need to see below 16 and above 235 (on the AVS HD test pattern they are highlited as "Reference" for that reason)...so if you see correctly the grayscale range between 16 and 235, everything is good with your Zidoo and TV ;)

7. Takis

Takis New Member

This is a general rule, but if you want to fine tune the Brightness you need to see the information BB and then close it down at the appropriate point (that was very useful with DLP projectors where you could see when exactly the mirrors of the DMD closed). Also in Contrast, you may want to give extra headroom to resolve details over 235 or if you want to lower the contrast in order to avoid color clipping in some displays (so it is necessary to see where you set the white level).
    So, to reiterate, does your Zidoo pass BB/AW as I described?

Thanks!

8. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

It's a general rule because it's how component video signal works (16-235 range) and I'm happy that the Zidoo handles that correctly (so, No, I don't see BB/AW, and it's how it needs to be). If you need to go above and below, you should try setting the Zidoo and TV / projector on the Full HDMI setting, which is for 0-255 range (but movies are all encoded 16-235)

9. Takis

Takis New Member

I did try and it does not pass 0-255 no matter the Zidoo/TV settings combination. It goes without saying that every other player, including the ones in TVs pass normally 0-255.
    Have you tried it your self with Zidoo and your TV?

10. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

No, sorry, because I don't need it (everything is just perfect this way with my calibrated TV) and the FW 1.4.6 doesn't have the HDMI range option (it's only HDMI limited by default)

11. Takis

Takis New Member

Ok, thanks again.