Zidoo automatically switches to 60hz when watching a 1080p movie

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Gonzalo Bouzas, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Hello, I have connected my zidoo z9s to a Samsung q600b sound bar through HDMI 2.1 and it is directly to the Samsung QN90B TV also with an HDMI 2.1 cable through the eARC connection. I have my device set to 3840 * 2160 60hz resolution but with auto frame rate + resolution enabled. When I watch a 4K Remux HDR movie, Zidoo automatically keeps the resolution but changes it to 23,976, that works perfectly. However, when I watch a FULLHD movie, it logically changes the resolution to 1080p but I don't know why it changes to 60hz instead of 23,976. I've already tried all kinds of settings and I can't figure it out. When I want to see FULLHD 23,976, I have no choice but to disable auto frame rate and resolution and directly set Zidoo to 1080p 24hz.

Mobe1969 likes this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Can you post a copy of your EDID with the Zidoo connected to the soundbar as you would normally use it:

To Download EDID
    ================
    Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID
    Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to post on forum

Sorry - just realise it's Z9S not Z9X...

3. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

Wow - I've been having this same issue as well and was posting here. I missed this thread. I'm having it happen with both 24p and 23.976p.
    I have mine set on
    Frame Rate Mode: Frame rate and Resolution
    HDMI is auto
    I wish there was just some source direct mode that worked.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  4. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

I have been able to consistently reproduce this anomaly of files playing at 60hz with a Z1000Pro, but it is only HEVC encoded 1080p files with FLAC audio (encoded with 23.976 video).
    They can be 8 or 10 bit video encoding, it still does the same thing.

There is no issue if audio is converted to PCM rather than FLAC (which is what I have been doing as they are both lossless formats).
    4K video with FLAC audio is obviously also fine. All other 1080p with DTS, TrueHD, PCM, AC3, DD+ audio play fine.
    I also found that the same files i.e. 1080p HEVC 23.976 video with FLAC audio do play fine when using ZDMC with the Kodi player instead of the Zidoo (default) player.
    This has not been checked with the new firmware released this week (as I don't have a Z9X or the Z9S of this thread).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  5. Markswift2003

Interesting, but I can't replicate this at all.

1080p23 10-bit & 8-bit HEVC files with FLAC soundtrack play fine here, switching to 23p as expected.

Tried single channel FLAC and multi-channel FLAC.

Tested on FW v6.4.42 (presumably what's on your Z1000 Pro) and v6.4.60.

upload_2023-4-19_14-30-32.png

6. Markswift2003

Also, out of curiosity and for @Mobe1969 I tried these files on a Z9S too and they played perfectly at 1080p23.

Mobe1969 likes this.
  7. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Thanks for testing Mark. That means it may have something to do with the way I transcode AVC video to HEVC using DVDFab.
    They are mainly old 1080p Blu-ray files I have with stereo FLAC.
    I could not explain why Kodi plays them perfectly, so I thought the encoding must have been ok.
    It only seemed to appear on firmware V6.4.42 but I cannot check if previous versions play them on my Z1000Pro.
    Will keep investigating and try using Handbrake, to see if that makes any difference with playback of those 1080p FLAC files.

8. Markswift2003

DVDFab - that probably explains it :D

I always use Staxrip for encoding (with an NVidia card) and MakeMKV for ripping - both free, and both work like a charm.

Some decoders can be more forgiving than others, so I guess that's the case with Kodi here.

Phil181 likes this.
  9. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

Ok I've been able to do some testing and leaving it fixed on display at 23 (23.976) is working properly for 23.976 and 24, and 3D, so I'm good with that. I will just leave at that

I have a z10 pro coming anyhow (want an onboard HDD). I was wondering, are the remote stuff codes the same, so on my Harmony activity I can just leave the old model zidoo

10. Markswift2003

Yes, remote codes are the same.

Mobe1969 likes this.