Zidoo 3000 fan control

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by John Thorley, Dec 27, 2021.

1. John Thorley

John Thorley Member

what is the best setting for fan in zidoo 3000 on auto it seemed a bit noisey

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The UHD3000 airflow and cooling works pretty well. Putting it on slow should be pretty safe to do.

I presume you are using 2x 3.5 inch HDD with it. Using the spin-down set to 10 min will make only one HDD active. Using 2.5 inch HDD's with a cartridge you can even shut the fan down totally and never hear those drives either.

More details here:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/practical-experiences-using-the-uhd3000.86061/

3. John Thorley

John Thorley Member

Hi Nice Monkey
    yes i have 2 WD Purple 1x 6tb for Movies and 1x 8tb for Tv Series. i try spin down setting it at 10 minutes and set fan to low

4. Nice Monkey

Will be good to hear the result. A HDD may get warm but not hot (barely touchable) .

5. John Thorley

John Thorley Member

Hi Nice Monkey
    just watched some episodes for about 2 hours, i took hard drive out of zidoo and i could hold it, it was warm but not burning hot

6. Nice Monkey

That is what I expected.

7. John Thorley

John Thorley Member

Hi Nice Monkey
    last night after watching few videos for a couple of hours, i took hard drive out and put in my PC and run diskinfo, disk was reading 46 degrees that seems a bit hot

8. Nice Monkey

It is not in any danger zone (above 60) and fairly normal for a HDD. The WD Red and Purple drives are a bit high on power consumption.
    Repeat if you want it really cool and no noise at all move to 2.5 inch (6 TByte) drives with an adapter.

Putting the fan on medium will lower it. A constant fan speed is preferred by me above speeding up/down being on Auto. For movies I found it acceptable but not for Music and use a 2.5 inch for that myself. Other drives for movies are in a 5-slot USB3 HDD Docking Station (not really silent but good enough for movies). That one is moved to the media player on use/test moving the single USB3 cable.

With Neo X the problem is gone as the whole chassis acts as one huge heatsink. No idea why they still put a fan on that one. It is my main player currently for everything.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  9. John Thorley

John Thorley Member

thanks for your info