Z9X to Yamaha RX-377

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by JohnD, Jul 23, 2022.

1. JohnD

JohnD New Member

I need a new mp as my WDTV has passed away after over 20 years of service. :(
    I am looking to purchase the Z9X and would like to attach via HDMI to new 4k TV and want to make sure audio would play.
    My question is will the Z9X pass H265 audio to my receiver via the optical link and play the audio? Or do I go from the optical out from TV to receiver for sound?
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
    JD

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The answer is yes, but I’m not sure what you mean by H265 audio - that’s a video codec.

You should really connect the Z9X to the amp by HDMI and then amp to TV by HDMI - that will allow all audio formats supported by the amp to play.

If you connect the Z9X to the amp optically you’ll lose the lossless formats - DTS-HD and TrueHD since TOSLINK doesn’t support those.

AC3 and DTS will be supported but TrueHD will be downmixed to stereo - DTS-HD has a core DTS Track, while TrueHD relies on a separate AC3 track for backwards compatibility and may not be present - depends how you ripped the video in the first place.