Z9X problem with luminance stability on Dolby Vision content

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mecedo, Oct 4, 2022.

1. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Zidoo Z9x has problem with luminance stability on Dolby Vision content. Even with v6.4.35 firmware. Here you are examples on GoogleDrive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RuHhLfjnhFxedLL0dYcaRt2FuhZiSpkX
    Two samples are played by TV internal player and two another played on Zidoo. As you can see luminance is fluctuating after scene changing whereas when played by Internal TV USB Player luminance is stable, without fluctuating. Checked on Sony TV and LG and the same behavior occurs on booth TV. I've used "Dolby UHD "Art of India" clip from "Blu-Ray Demo Disc (March 2018)".

xskip and Temearoo like this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Are you playing that using BluRay Menu or the m2ts?

3. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

I already observed the same fluctuations with some MKV remux.

mytich likes this.
  4. mecedo

mecedo New Member

File by file, m2ts

5. Markswift2003

It's just the RPU being delayed. M2ts is not designed to be played standalone - it's a transport stream, meant to be played via an mpls file in a BDMV structure.

Mux the file to MKV and you'll find it plays perfectly.

ccart likes this.
  6. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Can you name an example and post MediaInfo?

7. Markswift2003

I imagine badly done hybrids - steer well clear!

8. Sledgehamma

Yep, most likely. Luckily there are only a few from a certain release group with this issue. They also forgot to include the forced subtitle track for like 20 or so releases….
    Problem is that sometimes the movies are graded differently. so using the DV meta data from a file that has different maxcll or other data doesn’t make sense to me.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  9. Markswift2003

Absolutely - complete waste of time!

10. Sledgehamma

I figured that out after I manually synced the forced subtitles for 10 or so movies frame accurate… at least I’m pretty quick at it now :D

11. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

I would never take one of the hybrids that we can find on the web, I have no confidence in this stuff. If the movie on the blu-ray disk is in HDR10, I keep it as it is for my remux. But I remember to aldready have seen this, asking to myself if my TV had a pb or something like that.

I don't have an example in mind but if I can find one, I will post the MediaInfo's datas.

12. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Iso version of "Blu-Ray Demo Disc (March 2018)" doesn't have problems with luminance fluctuation but Zidoo cannot play it properly. It's played with variable speed with stuttering. Zidoo says video source is 23.976fps whereas real framerate is 60fps :)

13. Markswift2003

Yeah, that's just the way the disc was mastered and Zidoo's BDMenu ability!

14. Markswift2003

The only disc I've seen fluctuations from is Saving Private Ryan where there are encoded fluctuations in the full enhancement layer which are compensated for by the RPU and because the Zidoo doesn't use the enhancement layer, the RPU shows these compensatory inverse fluctuations - basically it was a mastering problem.