Z9X Pro Stuttering (Solved)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by chrisolson91, Nov 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creator44

Creator44 Active Member

I remembered that, at some point, mkvtoolnix started putting the bit depth metadata on TrueHD tracks (usually 24-bit on TrueHD Atmos tracks) but before it didn't put it. In PotPlayer on Windows for example, the bit depth was shown as 0-bit and the bit depth was missing from mediainfo on the file made by an older version of mkvtoolnix.

I tried remaking Avatar Way of Water with mkvtoolnix 25.0 and 52.0, as some of my files not stuttering much or at all are with 52.0. I did see that the metadata for the bit depth was missing and 0-bit was shown in PotPlayer with the new file.

The result is that the playback still stutters. So it doesn't seem to be related to the bit depth metadata being present or not in the MKV file.

I also observed the bitrate of the TrueHD audio track on some files to see if the stuttering parts are when the bitrate goes higher (PotPlayer shows it as a very variable bitrate) and it's not conclusive. In an action scene in another movie that was not stuttering, the bitrate is pretty high compared to the stuttering parts of Avatar. I don't know if we can say for sure that the bitrate of the TrueHD audio track is not the culprit but at first glance it doesn't look like it.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  2. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I fully agreed with this comment, only some TrueHD contents are causing stuttering. How to resolve it is the work of devs.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Solved :)

Official release next week.

Sticky removed.

dr4go, imeDB, Nissel and 2 others like this.
  4. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Great, it's an important announcement!!

Leo1000 likes this.
  5. Leo1000

Leo1000 New Member

Where will I find the fix next week? Thanks

6. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

In the download site shown at the first post of this forum section.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2023
    Leo1000 likes this.
  7. Creator44

Creator44 Active Member

OMG nice news! But I got an Z9X for no reason :confused:

I’m curious, did they say what was the problem?

8. Markswift2003

Damn.

Yeah, TrueHD :confused:

9. shiftedmirrors

shiftedmirrors New Member

Fantastic news! Thanks again for pushing them to fix it

Creator44 likes this.
  10. Pezay

Pezay New Member

Just updated to 1.0.65, still can't play Atmos-files (4K, DV, mkv) without stuttering when frame matching is enabled. The "solution" is to disable frame matching and watch the movie in 60Hz.

Is this the same problem as mentioned above that is going to be solved next week?

My setup is a Z9X Pro connected to a Onkyo TX-NR676E receiver and then a Sony X900h LED TV

11. Creator44

Creator44 Active Member

Did you actually see it working on a test unit with their fix firmware?

Just trying to not get my hopes up and then be disappointed.

12. Markswift2003

I have it running here.

dr4go and Unclejoshc like this.
  13. Markswift2003

Yes.

Unclejoshc and Pezay like this.
  14. Pezay

Pezay New Member

Awesome!

15. Creator44

Creator44 Active Member

Turns out the store where I bought the old Z9X called me saying they don't have it in stock and they can't get it anymore from the supplier (of course). So we cancelled my order for a refund.

Sometimes the universe unfolds as it should :)

16. JackMikkers

JackMikkers Member

Mark, how exactly is the problem fixed and does this solution has any drawbacks in terms of picture or sound quality?

17. Markswift2003

Happy Xmas :)

Creator44 likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

Not sure what you mean by how is it fixed. It doesn't stutter with THD content any more.

No drawbacks at all.

Leo1000 likes this.
  19. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

Can confirm 1.0.70 fixed the stutter for me with the Martian. Seems like they removed some kind overhead as well. Had to add AV delay previously for lip sync, after updating had to remove the delay for it to sync properly.

Leo1000 and Creator44 like this.
  20. Leo1000

Leo1000 New Member

V1.0.70 fixed it . Thanks heaps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.