Z9x Pro setting with Samsung TV(HDR10+, no DV)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by ineedt0Pee, Mar 11, 2024.

1. ineedt0Pee

ineedt0Pee New Member

Hi there,

I just ordered a Z9x Pro intended to replace my shield pro 2019, and my TV is Samsung Qn95b and the soundbar is Samsung Q990b. The connection will look like this: Zidoo -> Soundbar -> TV

Studying from all the resources on the forum, I can't find the definitine setting configuration to use with a Samsung TV, and my goal is simple: let HDR10+ play natively, DV rips go through VS10 engine, and HDR10 play in HDR10(native or VS10)

Can I achieve this by simply use the auto setting in zidoo HDR setting?
    upload_2024-3-11_11-43-11.png

From what I saw on youtube, if set to Mapping HDR10, the HDR10 and HDR10+ would play normally, but the DV will only decode the HDR10 layer?

But if I set it to Dolby Vision VS10 engine(output HDR), then I can play DV, but I lose native HDR10+?

I hope I'm not the only one with samsung TV, and I would really appreciate if anyone with similar setup can share the setting config and the experience. Thanks!

2. Fatalius

Fatalius New Member

Unfortunately you have to manualy change it if you want the DV files to be decoded with VS10.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

From what you say I can only assume that whatever you saw on YouTube was from an earlier firmware version.

On current firmware, on an HDR10+ display with no DV and HDR set to auto, DV Profile 7 content with an HDR10+ base layer will output HDR10+ natively.

VS10 will only be invoked for DV Profile 5 since it has no compatibility layer.

4. ineedt0Pee

ineedt0Pee New Member

@Markswift2003 Thank you for the explanation!
    I am aware now there's little bluray movies with HDR10+ Layer.
    So for DV only source(with HDR10 layer), can I get VS10 DV decode to HDR10(I assume it should be better than HDR10 native), or it will still fall back to HDR10 like my shield now?

5. Markswift2003

Because of the change in HDR options in this model vs the previous one, you'd have to set "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine(Output HDR)" which means everything (SDR, HDR10, HDR10+ and DV) is converted to VS10 HDR10.

Not a bad thing though - means less HDMI resyncs and in the case of DV the RPU is used in the conversion.

6. ineedt0Pee

ineedt0Pee New Member

@Markswift2003 so if I understand this correctly, for DV content, I should use "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine(Output HDR)" to get better picture quality(comparing to falling back to HDR10 with shield). VS10 HDR10 > native HDR10?

Another question if you don't mind, what benefit can I get if I add a HDfury device to the mix? (brightness, color, dynamic range...)
    Will adding a HDfury arcana essentially allow me to convert DV to HDR10+ and display on my Samsung TV?

Thank you so much this is super helpful.

7. Markswift2003

It's questionable whether VS10 gives "better picture quality" - it's subjective so you'll have to decide for yourself.

An HDFury will not convert DV to HDR10+. The only way I know to do this is with DVTool and it's kind of funky.

The biggest and best thing you can do with an HDFury (Vertex 2 or above) is to play DV natively on your Samsung - that's what I do with mine. See attached.

Attached Files: