Z9X plays HDR layer in Hybrid Dolby Vision

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by KostasD, Nov 28, 2022.

1. KostasD

KostasD New Member

Hello just a quick question although from some reading this is a random problem with problematic or incorrect encodes mostly. I have a Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible file that just wont play in Dolby Vision in my, correctly read as Vision Capable in EDID OLED. everything else not flat out problematic or old with DV works. Any insights so i can keep my eyes pealed in future releases? Most probably someone didnt remux correctly for the VS10 engine to trigger properly when ditching the enhancement layer of the original but still would like to know if it is a systematic problem especially with this kind of Hybrid release as i have read from 2020 and 2021. Are we getting better at not having this problem or is it completely random?

THanks a bunch for your time!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2022
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I'm afraid that producing hybrid files is a complete waste of time - adding the RPU from a DV grade to a non-DV grade is a really bad idea - the only upside is that it makes the Dolby Vision symbol come on on the display - other than that it's completely counter productive.

The only real valid use for Profile 8 for the home encoder is to enable you to encode the HDR base layer of your Profile 7 BluRay, convert the RPU to P8 and inject that back into the encoded base layer, ditching the enhancement layer.

Bottom line - avoid Hybrids.

KostasD, xskip and AngryVirginian like this.
  3. mgittelman

mgittelman New Member

Why are these a waste of time? I have a few of these hybrid files for movies that weren't originally released with DV. I've compared them with the standard UHD Blu-ray releases and quite often they seem to look much better. If they are including the DV metadata from web streams, shouldn't that improve the image quality?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Because the Dolby grading isn't carried out on the same master as the HDR10 BluRay grade.

So called hybrids take a Profile 5 IPT RPU and apply it to a BT.2020 HDR10 grade that wasn't graded as a Dolby Vision Master so there will be inconsistencies in decisions made for the RPU in the Profile 5 grade vs the HDR10 Grade. Also, streaming providers tend to re-encode their releases further distancing their output from the original.

With a true BluRay Dolby Vision grade, the original source is a Dolby Vision Master or Mezzanine and everything is produced downhill from that (Dolby Vision > HDR10+ > HDR10 > SDR). With an HDR10 only BluRay Grade, the Dolby workflow isn't used.

There will also be the possibility of timing issues, but that is less likely if the RPU is timed correctly.

I'd just rather see what the guys in post did rather than what someone who thinks it's a good idea to strap on an RPU from a different process did.

mgittelman, KostasD and Phil181 like this.