Z9X not detected by Windows 10 network

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Bert Coules, Feb 27, 2023.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules New Member

I've read up on this problem as far as I can but haven't found the answer. My Z9X is wire-connected to a Windows 10-based network via a central router, and I have (as recommended) enabled SMBv1 on the main desktop PC and switched it on in the Z9X settings; with this setup, the Zidoo box is found by the PC and listed as a Media Device but it isn't being picked up as part of the network.

The PC gives the Z9X's webpage so I thought that might be a way of accessing it, but clicking on the link generates a Not Found message. I suspect that I'm overlooking something obvious, but I can't see what it might be and I'd appreciate any thoughts or pointers to a step-by-step guide for what I'm trying to do.

Many thanks.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Vagaries of Windows networking I imagine.

What happens if you open an explorer window and type \\<ZIDOO_IP_ADDRESS> or \\<Zidoo_Server_Name> like this:

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

You don't need SMB1 by the way - the Z9X supports SMB 1-3.

Bert Coules likes this.
  3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules New Member

Yes, it certainly has its fair share of them.
    Doing that brings up the same result as in your screenshot: the icon and the word "Share".

Clicking on Share gives me two folders: B2CC3FAFCC3F6D2B and Storage. The first contains all my media file folders on the Z9X's external hard drive as well as two others: .Home Theatre, and Android - so the connection is there: thank you!

The second opens a raft of folders which I think must be on the Z9X box itself: .cwallery, .DataStorage, .HomeTheatre and so on.

In the directory listing, the Z9X appears under Network. However, if I then close that Explorer window and reopen it, the Z9X entry is no longer there. Is there a further step I have to take to get it permanently recognised?

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules New Member

Ah, right: the information I found must have been out of date. I presume that having SMB1 installed doesn't actually do any harm, so I think I'll just leave it there.

I just tried setting up a desktop shortcut on the PC to the Zidoo box (\\192.168.1.103). This brings up the Explorer listing as before, with the Share link. I added the path to the external hard drive and now the shortcut leads directly to the media files and I can work on them from the PC which is what I wanted. So perhaps I don't actually need to have the Z9X recognised as part of the network.

5. Markswift2003

Windows is like a small child - willfully forgetful.

The very fact you can open the shared folder as above means everything is working as it should and I have no idea why it doesn't show as a network asset. Stupid as it sounds, now you opened it manually Windows may "find" it in the network folder.

My next tip was to add shortcuts but looks like you already figured that out - I must admit that's my preferred way of doing it - I rarely open the network folder, just type in the IP address or name in the explorer bar..

Bert Coules likes this.
  6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules New Member

Actually, I've known Windows pull off some far weirder tricks. But if it is going to recognise the Zidoo box as part of the network it's taking its time about it. After I've finished work I might try rebooting the PC and see if that has any effect.
    I was quite pleased when the idea struck me, and more pleased when I made it work. You're right: it's far neater and quicker than mucking about in the labyrinth of the network settings and links.

Markswift2003, thanks again for your help; I hope you and others here won't mind if I come back with any further questions, since I'm virtually certain to need some more answers sooner or later.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  7. Markswift2003

Of course not! Happy to help.

8. Bert Coules

Bert Coules New Member

That's great, thanks again. Incidentally (or rather, not) an update: the power of the reboot: Network.jpg I have no idea (yet) what MMP is...

9. Markswift2003