Z9X can't see HDMI 4K setting (update b6.3.0)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Visconti12, May 7, 2021.

1. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I've worked around and can't find 4K display setting. Using HDMI 4K cable connected to HMDI-Arc of Denon AVR-2113 and to a Benq W5700 projector.
    Any help or solution?

2. The cable is the answer - two variants - bad contact or cable. Sometimes I have the same problem - I eject the cable, link it again & it's OK - 4K again!

Visconti12 likes this.
  3. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Actually I'm using the original HDMI 4K cable included with the Zidoo package. Anyway I'll try to use different one but can't see any setting for 4K in HDMI range/mode to show such option.
    Device team:
    Zidoo Z9X (firmware b6.3.0)
    Denon AVR-2113
    Benq W5700 projector
    Cables: All 4K, theoretically indicated by the supplier
    File: various MKV 4K that I can see in my Samsung 4K

Any other suggestion or checking instruction?

4. You can't see 4K in settings because of edid table - when you disable it you'll see all the settings. Anyway - try another cable, yours may be defective!

Visconti12 likes this.
  5. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

EDID setting as disable and no 4K options are shown. Cable is 4K certified.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  6. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

See attached details for 10m cable

Attached Files:

7. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Aren’t 4K60p transmission over passive hdmi cables limited to approx. 3m?

10m is a bit too long for passive hdmi cables to carry signals reliably.

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I've got a 15M (50ft) contract HDMI cable that we used to import from China by the pallet load that I installed in 2005 when I built the cinema. This was well before even HD was mainstream never mind UHD and that passes 4K60 fine.

Must admit these days they seem to make HDMI cables out of cheese.

Even if the cable struggled with the signal, that wouldn't stop the Zidoo showing them as available.

@Visconti12 - can you go to EDID settings and hit "Save EDID" and post the file here - you'll need to change the extension from .bin to .txt so you can upload on the forum.

I know both your projector and amp support 4K but there must be something strange in the EDID for the Zidoo not to provide 4K settings.

9. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Got edid file with no data, just zero. Anyway find it here.

Attached Files:

10. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Are you sure it will work with active-optical HDMI 8K cable? Any experience in such field?

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

If you go on the HDfury forum, you could be forgiven to think these high bandwidth cables should be 3m, never mind "limited to approx 3m". Mine are 1m - size isn't everything :D

12. Markswift2003

Ok, so if that file is what "Save EDID" produces that, there's something very wrong in the chain. Maybe try connect direct to the projector and see if that works as a test.

Didn't notice earlier, but there's a bit of a clue in the image you sent earlier where it says: "HDR: Not support"

If you connect direct to the projector, you should be able to download the BenQ EDID and use that as a custom EDID if needs be.

It's also possible that the chain is fine and something has gone really funky in the Zidoo, in which case a factory reset would hopefully sort it - either way it looks like the Zidoo can't read the amp's EDID.

13. settings - Display - HDMI mode - Ignore EDID
    That's the way to se all options incl. 4K !

14. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Thanks to all for your great help!!
    Finally I've solved the issue: the bloody pasive HDMI 2.0 from Amazon doesn't work, maybe for 10m length. I've connected the Z9X direct to the Benq projector and it works flawlessly. And tried it in another scenary such as Samsung FrameTV with fine result.
    Key: Z9X is quite demanding quality cables for long distance, this case is 10m.
    Try: To buy an active optical HDMI Cable UHD - 8K, expensive but most probably worthy value.

Attached Files:

boxerfan likes this.
  15. Markswift2003

The really odd thing is the empty EDID - a dodgy cable can't cause that - it can stop certain bandwidths from passing down the cable, but it can't zero an EDID so there's something else at play here too.

Try using the old cable, use Custom EDID and load this EDID.

This one is 400MHz which your cable should easily pass - this will allow 4K60 4:2:0 (but not 4K60 444, 422 or RGB):

https://mega.nz/file/dXAziCzZ#gkeWnFvPumbxluWzsnibADMhLYtxNXdeNHgzpQ22WgY

(Just updated the EDID thread with this one as it might be useful to others)

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  16. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Sorry but it's too complicate to do it once again. The cable is insert the ceiling of the basement room. At any case, the outcome is the same, through Denon AVR-2113 (HDMI-Arc) or directly. Receives 1080p only. I've no other option to try with a reliable long cable. Once installed, I'll post the outcome!!

17. Markswift2003

OK, but I think you'll be needlessly spending money.

18. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Thanks Markswift for your great assistance. I've no doubt but thinking that Z9X is really demanding for such issue. Worked around but no solution.
    IMO this is an advice for the developers to solve in next firmware versions!!

19. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Finally I've changed the cable to HDMI optical fibre 8K and the result is the following scenario:
    1) Direct connection from Z9X to Benq W5700: Correct and getting 4K 2160p as photos.
    2) Via Denon AVR-2113 to Benq: It starts giving the image for 2-3" then dissapear. Benq try to search video for while with no success, then black screen.
    3) Via Denon AVR-2113 to Benq+Sharp Aquos-3D with video splitter: It gives 1080p as photos.
    Obviously I need the AVR sound.

EDIDs files also added here.

Any suggestion or shall I wait for future releases to solve such issue?

Attached Files:

20. Markswift2003

As I said before, the problem is not the Zidoo, it's the EDID and in particular the Denon EDID.

Can you grab the EDID of the Zidoo connected to the Denon connected to the BenQ WITHOUT the Aquos and splitter.