Z9S - IP Power On

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by RGHoover, May 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RGHoover

RGHoover New Member

Is there a way to power on the unit via IP? I have everything else working via IP but once the unit powers off nothing work. (using demopad to control).

Thanks

2. RGHoover

RGHoover New Member

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The latest firmware has slightly bizarre behaviour, but unfortunately standby is still broken for IP/RS232.

If you either power off or put into deep sleep standby using IP control this shuts of power to the ethernet section of the SOC so it cannot be woken up via the network. RS232 commands can be used to wake the box but front panel LED behaviour is erratic and open apps (eg HT2) are not resumed.

If you set to standby with deep sleep off this maintains power to ethernet (this actually keeps the HDMI output on too, albeit with black video so is kind of pointless) but it still cannot be woken up by either IP or RS232 - IR must be used. In fact sending the power on IP command results in a full power off!!

If you want to use IP control, the only way to do it is to leave the box on (belt & braces - do not include any on/off commands in your program)

The only way to gain full discrete on/off is to use RS232 which works flawlessly as long as standby is not used.

RGHoover likes this.
  4. RGHoover

RGHoover New Member

I will take your advice and leave the box on (no on/off commands) and wait until the new firmware corrects the issue. Hopefully Zidoo is aware and fixing the issue.

Thanks!!

Unfortunately, the on/off command is what I use when I'm testing to see if things are working...

5. Markswift2003

There will certainly be no way to resume from power off using IP since that naturally turns the ethernet board off and likewise with deep sleep standby which does the same and seems to be a fixed hardware issue. LED behaviour and App resume with RS232 should be fixable though.

Resuming from both IP and RS232 if deep sleep is off and the "bye" issue should also be fixable but to be honest standby without deep sleep seems a bit pointless as the HDMI board stays alive too so there will be minimal power saving - and it's not like it takes a huge amount anyway!

I emailed about these issues last week and got this reply:

"Thanks for your suggestions, but we are afraid that it is depended on hardware, so it is not easy to make it.

But I will still feedback to engineers for further info."

6. Sean Kelley

Sean Kelley New Member

What are the discrete power RC codes for hex X9S? The X10 ones don't seem to work.

7. Markswift2003

If you're talking about IR control then I'm afraid there aren't any.

It uses NEC1, Device 64, Sub Device 64 and I've previously tried all the hex codes in that codeset and none of them provided discrete power.

I emailed Zidoo about this in November last year but they said were unable to add them. I didn't pursue it any further since I use RS232 which supports discrete power and is rock solid.

8. Sean Kelley

Sean Kelley New Member

Thanks for the reply. I have scoured for easy notated hex codes for the NEC1/64/64 and can;t find anything outside JP1. Any chance you have a full code set for the X9S remote? I need pg up and down and those X10 codes don;t seem to work in my HEX code reader. Cheers

9. Markswift2003

PgUp and PgDn are 1E & 1F - the full code set for the remote is attached.

Attached Files:

10. bob

bob Active Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

Z9S it cannot be woken up via the network.
    can be woken up via the RS232.
    thanks

11. AKELA

AKELA New Member

Hello bob,
    how can I connect rear RS232 port, in order to control Z9S on/off through my Android smartphone and Wi-Fi net (by Zidoo controller App)?
    I didn't find user guide nowhere
    3.5mm Jack > DB9 RS232 connector > ?
    Thanks in advance

12. Zwanzig

Zwanzig Member

It is possible to control or program Vol +, Vol - to support the Marantz receiver ??

13. Markswift2003

It can't be done through the controller app, you'll need another form of automation system that can send and receive over RS232 - I use Crestron.

Zidoo RS232 Pinout.png

Attached Files:

14. AKELA

AKELA New Member

Thanks Markswift2003

I suppose it is a bit expensive to implement an automation system like yours, just to overcome on/off remote control issue.
    Zidoo IP multi-mode controller App works well apart that issue.
    For the uninitiated people like me, I suggest to use "Hard Disk Sleep on/off" option by Zidoo controller App;
    I discovered that feature recently and it allows you to turn off Hard Disk at least (I have two of those connected to Z9S)
    bye

15. Markswift2003

To be honest I don't think it really matters leaving the devices turned on anyway. I tend to leave my test devices on all the time as it's in pretty much constant use at the moment.

The power supply is always plugged in and drawing a small amount of power and although I've not measured it, I wouldn't think there'd be much difference in leaving the device on or off.

As you say, if you can power off the hard discs, that will make some difference at least.

16. kam186

kam186 Member

Old set of media player DUNE can turn off and on by apps. Why not Zidoo ? There must be a way to do this...Please think about this.

17. Markswift2003

IP Standby is implemented in the Zidoo, it just doesn't work!! :(

If you send the IP command for Standby, the network card is powered down, so there's no way to wake it back up again.

RS-232 Standby sort of works, but the unit returns to the main menu rather than where it left off.

RS-232 Full On/Off works perfectly and is currently the only way to achieve reliable discrete power control.

I think it's just one of those things that's been forgotten about..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  18. fred727

fred727 New Member

19. Markswift2003

Sorry, no, they're just adapters, and you couldn't use WOL over a serial link anyway.

What you're talking about would require an ethernet to RS-232 serial bridge and you'd need a client to implement the RS-232 protocol over it.