Z9S Framerate Issues

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Mobe1969, Apr 16, 2023.

1. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

I primarily use my Zidoo for 3D, so I never had issues with framerate, but lately I have been also using for other videos, both 23.976p and 24p, and I am continually having the player output in the wrong framerate, 60p.

I have it set to auto regards EID and resolution, and setting to match framerate etc.

I don't know what is going on but I just want it to output everything direct.

I'm at the stage I'm looking at buying something else as this is giving me too many problems now.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Can you provide a MediaInfo report for one of the files affected?

It's a long time since I used a Z9S but I never had any framerate issues in the years I used it - in fact it was the first Realtek SOC that came with perfect framerate out of the box.

3. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

Nearly everything I try.

Code:
    Video
    ID                             : 1
    Format                         : AVC
    Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                 : High@L4
    Format settings                : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
    Format settings, Reference fra : 4 frames
    Codec ID                       : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration                       : 1 h 34 min
    Bit rate                       : 5 152 kb/s
    Width                          : 1 920 pixels
    Height                         : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                : Constant
    Frame rate                     : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space                    : YUV
    Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                      : 8 bits
    Scan type                      : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.104
    Stream size                    : 3.39 GiB (52%)
    Language                       : English
    Default                        : Yes
    Forced                         : No
    Color range                    : Limited
    Color primaries                : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics       : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients            : BT.709

Audio #1
    ID                             : 3
    Format                         : AC-3
    Format/Info                    : Audio Coding 3
    Commercial name                : Dolby Digital
    Codec ID                       : A_AC3
    Duration                       : 1 h 34 min
    Bit rate mode                  : Constant
    Bit rate                       : 448 kb/s
    Channel(s)                     : 6 channels
    Channel layout                 : L R C LFE Ls Rs
    Sampling rate                  : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate                     : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
    Compression mode               : Lossy
    Stream size                    : 302 MiB (5%)
    Language                       : English
    Service kind                   : Complete Main
    Default                        : No
    Forced                         : No

4. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

BTW, I take it in the menu, 2160p 23 means 23.976? If manually trying to force it?

5. Markswift2003

Nothing unusual in that file and yes, 23 means 23.976.

If you want to PM me a link to one of these files (maybe upload to Mega.nz) and I'll fire a up a Z9S here and see what happens...

6. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

OK thanks. So 23 is 23.976. I might try to find a smaller one I have to link.

I notice on a Z1000 pro with similar issue you posted about an edid issue. The title was "1080p challenge whit Zidoo Z1000 Pro and JVC". I tried posting a link but I got blocked.

Are you able to elaborate on what the issue is or was? I'm on a Sony 4k Projector, thru an Anthem 1140, and I have zero framerate or resolution issues with all my other sources, disc players, Apple TV etc, just the zidoo, so I can't see any evidence of an edid problem on my side - but possibly an EDID interpretation problem on the zidoo side.

I was actually looking at upgrading to a Z10 pro or z1000 pro (something I can put a HDD in), but if they can have the same issues, I'm at a loss. I guess I can just go back to what I previously did - just using it for 3D remuxes.

7. Markswift2003

Yeah - that was something odd with a JVC EDID, but not really the same problem you have.

If it is an EDID problem you can't change that on the Z9S (without something line an HDFury device). If you get one of the later models with the Realtek 1619 if there are EDID issues they can be fixed with a custom EDID.

When you have an amp connected, the amp has to automatically adjust the display EDID to add the amp's audio formats.

99% of the time this works perfectly, but occasionally, because the EDID can only be 256 bytes, there is too much information and some of it gets truncated. Because it's an automated process and there's no intelligence involved, it can simply omit important information.

I've seen Anthems do strange things to EDIDs in the past - not saying that's definitely the problem, but it's a possibility.

Mobe1969 likes this.
  8. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

Hmm, thanks, interesting. So what is the strategy then if it is the anthem? Just power cycle it to force handshaking again? To be honest, I loathe 60Hz material, and if I didn't have to deal with both 24p and 23.976, I'd just set the Zidoo to 23.976 and leave it at that. Too many European Blu-Rays are 24 plus a lot of streamed content.

If I got a Z10 Pro, the newer chipset, would I have better results? Eg could tweak an EDID somehow as you indicate above?

9. Markswift2003

So if it was an EDID issue, then yes the new boxes can fix it because you can first of all query the existing EDID to see if it's problematic and secondly, you can fix any issues and load a custom EDID.

So if you set the Zidoo to 23Hz and "Switch Frame Rate and Resolution" what happens to 24Hz material?

Mobe1969 likes this.
  10. Markswift2003

Out of curiosity, I fired up a Z9S and tried to replicate this.

It's on fw version v2.3.88 and I added two sources to HT, one with 2K content and one with 4K content in a variety of framerates 23/24/25Hz.

I left Frame Rate Mode on "Switch Frame Rate and Resolution" and Resolution on Auto (3840x2160p60).

I tested the following:

2K23, 2K24, 2K25, 4K23 and 4K24 and all changed resolution and framerate correctly.

So as a test, try connecting the Zidoo direct to the display and see what happens..

Mobe1969 likes this.
  11. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

I'll have to check that. What should happen? If it is 24, should the output on the info page show 24 rather than 23? I can't really tell on my AVR as it will show 24 as it rounds both up...

12. Markswift2003

My projector does the same - shows 24 for 23.976 and 24, so yes, you need to look at the Zidoo info page which will show you the source file framerate and the output framerate:

upload_2023-4-18_22-49-1.png

Mobe1969 likes this.
  13. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

Thanks. If that works then I'll just leave at 23. I don't have any 60hz content, so not an issue. The only two discs with it I'm aware of have 3D that I prefer, so I'd never watch the 4k version again!

14. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

BTW, I got a Z10 Pro now, and am still getting the issues on auto, so I'm wondering what I can do with a custom EDID? I did set it to 23 and that is OK with 23.976 and 24, but I realize I have a few 25p or 50i ones (and on the weekend I actually watched that new Netflix French movie release, AKA, and that one is 25p)

15. Markswift2003

Ok, so now you have a 1619 model you can access the EDID.

Can you post it here:

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

(The forum won't accept .bin files)

Mobe1969 likes this.
  16. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

OK got it. it seemed to save two though?

Attached Files:

17. Markswift2003

Ok - nothing wrong with the EDID (both files are the same).

Just to be sure, I loaded that EDID into my HDFury Vertex 2 and that makes my Zidoo behave exactly the same as yours. I could have just loaded into the Zidoo, but loading it into the Vertex means that my Zidoo is not doing anything at all differently to yours.

As expected, no problem with 23/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz content.

There's no way that the the same symptoms can be carried over from a 1296 box to a 1619 box - they're completely different beasts - so the problem lies elsewhere.

But, as I say, if I fool my Zidoo into thinking it's in your setup, it behaves itself, so I've no idea what's going on.

18. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

This is bizarre then. If you are saying elsewhere, where else is there?

19. Markswift2003

Just checking - you have got auto framerate on haven't you?

Settings/Playback/Auto frame rate/Frame rate mode

20. Mobe1969

Mobe1969 New Member

I'm not familiar with that one. I just see this one like in the manual: Settings/Playback/Frame Rate Switch/Frame Rate Mode, and I have that set to "Frame Rate and Resolution"
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lfn0L-Hg_7BaDC3vXHvMVN_VCTI4Tj1Y/edit

I have the frame rate pause set to 3 sec - but oddly when it switches it never seems to pause playback 3 seconds. It was the same on my z9s too - it never paused. I'd have expect that if I started a 3D movie, as soon as it started outputting a 3D signal, it would pause playback waiting for handshaking. It NEVER has.