Z20 PRO - How to get "write" access to internal HDD

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by John Muller, Apr 18, 2024.

1. John Muller

John Muller New Member

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if there is any solution that will allow me to create/delete (read/write) files/folders on other storage devices, besides the internal eMMC one.
    I installed a brand new HDD within the internal bay, formatted with the app's SW. I connected an SSD on the USB 3 port, I can see the files on them, copy/paste from the internal eMMC to it and vice versa, create/delete folders, but ONLY IF I use the Zidoo default Media Center app (the default one you get access to the storage).
    Would like to understand why I cannot have other apps' like a file manager, downloader, etc. to do the same actions?
    Meaning, if I wanted to use a 3rd party app like X-plore File Manager or QBitorrent to manage any of the above mentioned external drives (copy/paste/create/delete new folders), I keep getting "You only have Read only permissions", or "Ensure you have root access", or "This folder is currently having Read-Only rights". What can I do to actually make this device to allow me Full Read/Write Access everywhere? :)
    Many thanks in advance! (btw, I do not use SMB servers, NAS, Plex, etc. I just want to download movies directly on the Z20 Pro's internal HDD and watch them :))

dnedkov likes this.
  2. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

I do not think that is possible. You need to download the movies on a computer then either watch via LAN or transfer them onto the drive.

3. John Muller

John Muller New Member

Hello, thanks for jumping in this topic the whole point was not use network-related solutions like other devices/LAN/downloading in a different device then watch through local network, etc. It's the limitation of the internal eMMC storage size that is a blocking point, since I am usually downloading whole series or 4K movies, so I want simply to have the possibility to change the download directory in Z20 Pro. But for this, like I said, I need write permissions. I saw on older/different models from Zidoo that there were rooting solutions, but for Z20 Pro's generation, none.

4. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Active Member

If you get into the semi-hidden android system settings menu you could try formatting the internal HDD as INTERNAL storage, which is app storage with proper R/W access, you might have to use the apps menu within the android system settings to phsysically move the torrent app over to it (MIGRATE option), but it should work, or at least its worth testing.

5. Faceman2k24

Still cant really recommend trying to run a bittorrent system on the device itself though, background app behaviour is not the same as a phone or tablet and you could run into issues with it killing the app automatically. it also may have CPU issues if there is a large file unpack or verification happening while trying to watch something.

It's really not meant to run things like that at all. best keep those services on a separate device and just move the files over SMB to the player if you want to use the internal HDD for storage.

6. John Muller

John Muller New Member

Hey, thanks for replying. What do you mean the "semi-hidden android settings"? Developer ones? I haven't seen this listed there

7. John Muller

John Muller New Member

I ran ZetaTorrent on the device, sent the torrent file through their phone app to the device, downloaded a 25 GB movie with no problems, no hickups on the Z20, all good, moved the file afterwards to the internal HDD with the Media Center app. The problem is that the eMMC's storage is low, so I cannot use it for files larger than 25 GB. ZetaTorrents sees all connected drives, but it has only read permissions, hence, I cannot change the download path directly to the internal HDD instead of the default eMMC one.

8. Faceman2k24

go into the zidoo settings then over to the advanced settings to get into the android system settings and you can manage storage from there.

I don't know if it will work 100% but it will let you put your torrent app on the HDD for plenty of space, whether you can then play it back is another thing, i'm not sure of that becasue app storage is usually hidden.

I think in ZDMC you could find the folder and map it since that can see the filesystem, maybe try that.

9. John Muller

John Muller New Member

Hmm, interesting, ok, I will try this and reply with the result. Thanks a lot!

10. Earthkeeper

Earthkeeper Member

If you cannot find the settings, it's at:

Settings :: Other :: About :: Advanced Settings

You can give storage permission to apps there.

11. John Muller

John Muller New Member

Hello Guys, I got home and tried, the permissions were already set to Allow, but the ZetaTorrent shows me the same message "read only access" :( any other ideas? Thanks

12. Faceman2k24

Did you also into the apps settings and move Zetatorrent over to the new disk?

13. John Muller

John Muller New Member

Hello Everyone, I followed again all steps given by all of you and finally got this working as I wanted so now, the internal HDD is the internal storage, with all apps on it. ZetaTorrents is downloading right now 65 GB of data on it A big THANK YOU to all of you for helping me get the most of this device. Have a most wonderful day!

14. dnedkov

dnedkov New Member

How? Explain, pls.

15. Faceman2k24

Good to know it actually works. It was just a guess

John Muller likes this.
  16. John Muller

John Muller New Member

Hello, see above the steps given by the guys

17. dnedkov

dnedkov New Member

Maybe I should format the hard drive as internal. I have now set about transferring all the information from it to another external hard drive, and will try to format it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  18. dnedkov

dnedkov New Member

It doesn't work for me.

19. Faceman2k24

Did you migrate the offending app over to the newly created internal storage ?

20. dnedkov

dnedkov New Member

Yes. Zetatorrent give me only storage/0/emulated/....