Z1000 Pro v6.4.42 last DOES NOT PLAY MKV with Dolby Vision

Discussion in 'other' started by Maximoquinto, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Maximoquinto

Maximoquinto New Member

-Z1000 Pro v6.4.42 Latest version and the previous version, With the default AUTO HDR option activated, IT DOES NOT DETECT MKV WITH DOLBY VISION CONVERTED EVEN HAVING THE INFORMATION OF THE DOLVY VISION INSIDE, it only detects Dolby Vision if it is a video converted to MP4 (Puts the logo and activates TV Dolby vision). When I convert an MKV video with Dolby Vision to remove the black bars at the top and bottom of a video (with HandBrake Nightly -Win which is compatible with Dolby Vision). But by default, if I don't convert the video, Dolby Vision does work with MKV and its detection with the TV also works.

-All original test MKV and converted videos have the DV info
    With the mediainfo the MKVs and the MP4s show me that they all have the Dolvy Vision inside the video.
    MEDIAINFO: HDR Format: Dolby Vision, version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, compatible with HDR10 / SMPTE ST 2086, compatible with HDR10 / SMPTE ST 2086, compatible.

-The same videos converted with MP4 (with HandBrake Nightly which is compatible with Dolby Vision) all work for me, detecting the TV and the zidoo 1000 pro as Dolby Vision.

-I have also been posting with the creators of the HandBrake Nightly about this issue and it seems that it is not HandBrake problem, based on the test I give you below.

-I have tried more things to find the error. By installing (KODI NIGTLIES) the player inside the Z1000 Pro which is compatible with Dolby Vision, with the result that the original MKV videos as well as those converted to MKV or MP4 are detected all and Dolby Vision is activated on the TV as is also detected by the Z1000 Pro.

-So with this you can see that the fault is in the Z1000 Pro player v6.4.42 Latest version.

-I have been looking at forums and it seems that the problem may be (Z1000 Pro player) that the FFmpeg of the MKV container must be updated in order for Dolby Vision to be detected.

-Doing more tests, I have found a small solution, in the screen options I have set automatic (which does not work very well in detecting the MKV) to DOLVY VISION VS10 Engine (for HDR, DV Content), and now it detects the MKVs originals and those encoded with the Handbrake such as (VS10 dolby vision), and the DV properties are activated on the TV. The MP4 are detected well in any HDR mode.

-Also in the advanced options to make it work.
    MISCELLANEOUS Tab-INFORAMATION-ADVANCED SETTINGS-SYSTEM- HDMI/DP Display Config-HDR OUTPUT MODE AUTO by default

-For AUTO I put it IMPUT, because with AUTO it puts it with (Vo_HDR_CTRL_DV_LOW_LATENCY_12B_YUV422 and it always puts the DV option in all the videos even if I don't have DV, Playing all videos (VS 10 Dolby Vision), but with this the detection of HDR or HDR 10 is lost

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It hardly needs saying, but these players have no issue with Dolby Vision in MKV as long as it's encoded correctly.

For encoding I use Staxrip and Dovi_Tool and it works perfectly.

3. Maximoquinto

Maximoquinto New Member

Markswift2003 thanks for the response, I will try the program you mention.
    Although I already told you that it is well encoded with the information from several different test videos with the same INFO inside that the Dolvy vision has:
    MEDIAINFO: HDR Format: Dolby Vision, version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, compatible with HDR10 / SMPTE ST 2086, compatible with HDR10 / SMPTE ST 2086, compatible.
    With the same video encoded to MP4 and also to MKV and in AUTO HDR, the Z1000 Pro v6.4.42 player does detect and play Dolby vision only in MP4 well, but it does not recognize the MKV DV.

And I mention this because with the KODI NIGTLIES player the same video is detect and played well in Dolby vision with MP4 or MKV.

4. Markswift2003

If you can send me a small sample MKV I can pass it onto the devs, but as I say, if it's encoded correctly, these boxes have no issue with DV in MKV.

5. Maximoquinto

Maximoquinto New Member

Thank you, give me a few minutes and I'll prepare it for you and send it to you here, several very short encoded and unencoded mkvs of 5 seconds each, and with that you can see where the DV failure may be.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  6. Maximoquinto

Maximoquinto New Member

In the previous post I sent you the .ZIP of the videos

Markswift2003 Thank you very much for your help with all my heart.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  7. Markswift2003

Downloading now...

8. Markswift2003

So yes, I get the same results as you on a Z9X.

However, if you run the "NO Detect" MKVs through MakeMKV then they work perfectly in Dolby Vision.

MakeMKV produces Dolby Vision STDL files to the MKV specification so I suggest that if you want to continue to use Handbrake, you process the encoded files through MakeMKV after encoding.

9. Maximoquinto

Maximoquinto New Member

Markswift2003 YOU HAVE SOLVED THE BUG, YOU ARE A GENIUS RAISED TO 10. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THE SOLUTION FOR A LONG TIME AND THERE WAS NO WAY TO GET IT. Now after passing the encoded MKV to makemkv, the resulting mkv perfectly detects it as DOLVY VISION, several videos tested.

Really thank you very much for the help and for solving it.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  10. Markswift2003

You're welcome - I like a challenge :)

11. Maximoquinto

Maximoquinto New Member

Well, this problem was a skyscraper as a challenge. I would never have imagined passing makemkv after coding. You deserve a score of 1000 out of a maximum of 10.

Really, thank you very much, now I am writing to the HandBrake forum about the solution. There is more and more Dolby Vision content and being able to remove the black bars is another world when watching the video in full screen.

Thank you very much with all my heart.

12. Maximoquinto

Maximoquinto New Member

We hope that this problem will be solved in the next update because it is not a special problem that affects one but several cases with Zidoo.
    All users have paid a lot of money for a brand choosing Zidoo so that Dolby Vison can be reproduced perfectly at 100% and it is not doing so. If this problem is not solved, users are clear that we will not trust Zidoo again in the near or distant future.

13. Markswift2003

Just to note that these files play fine in DV on the newer Zidoo models.

14. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Mark, are you stating that the files play fine before passing through makemkv on the newer models ( for clarification)

OR that they require makemkv passthrough , but are indeed compatible with the newer zidoo generation.

15. Markswift2003

They played fine on the new models without any mucking about in MakeMKV.