Z1000 pro: dolby vision sound, but missing video

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by NormanC, Aug 6, 2023.

1. NormanC

NormanC New Member

Hi

I am fairly new owner of the Zidoo Z100 Pro and got it to replace my old Dune D1 and to be able to watch UDH/4K movies.

But for movies encoded with Dolby Vision, I only get sound and no video.
    Screen is black and my tv says, that the input in missing.
    My TV does support Dolby Vision (Philips 65OLED854).

I have tried various setting in the Z1000 regarding video.
    Right now it is set to auto, but I also tried VS10 for HDR concent and others, but it makes no diffrence.

What am I missing here?
    Why can't I watch Dolby Vision encoded movies?
    I have tried various DV movies, same result.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

This is an odd one.

The only thing that springs to mind immediately is HDMI bandwidth - have you got auto-framerate switched on?

Settings/Display/Auto frame rate/Frame rate mode

It should either be set to Match Frame Rate only or Frame Rate and Resolution depending on preference, but never left off.

The problem with DV is that if the signal is 60Hz, it uses the full 18GB/s (600MHZ) bandwidth of HDMI and if your cables are even slightly not up to it, you'll get a blank screen.

3. NormanC

NormanC New Member

Ahh it was the framerate setting!
    Was set to off.

Thanks man :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
  4. Markswift2003

Great!

Just be aware though that this issue is caused by a bad HDMI chain and not the framerate setting, so if you happen to play any 60fps Dolby Vision content it will likely happen again.

It obviously won't affect most content since that would generally be 23.976fps or occasionally 24fps so uses a lower bandwidth when played at the correct frame rate.

5. NormanC

NormanC New Member

What do you mean by a "bad HDMI chain"?

6. Markswift2003

As I said in the first post, because it uses 12-bit 4:2:2 for LLDV and 8-bit RGB for TV Led Dolby Vision, at 60fps, HDMI runs at full chat, ie 18GB/s, 600MHz, and if your HDMI chain isn't up to that, you'll get a black screen.

Even some Premium Certified cables can fail - I have a SlimHDMI cable that's Premium Certified and from a trusted manufacturer, and it won't pass 600MHz reliably.

https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable