Z1000 Internal hard drive not recognised?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Oggi, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Oggi

Oggi New Member

Hi guys,

Been the owner of a Z1000 for a few months now, just started running into an issue whereby the internal HDD (8TB Seagate) fails to be recognised on startup. Sometimes several reboots will solve the issue, other times it just resolves itself with an "external device recognised" (or words to that effect) banner. Just today though I cannot seem to get it recognised at all despite many reboots and removal/replacement of the drive.

Has there been a firmware update that has caused this or is my unit failing after only a few months?

My wife thinks I'm an idiot for spending over £300 on a mediaplayer (that doesn't work correctly) and I'm beginning to think she's right.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this/regain my dignity? (apart from selling it hopefully).

Regards to you all.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Everything about HDD and SDHC cards. Written originally for Egreat but still very valid for all current popular Android based media players.
    https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=576.0
    Be aware it was written several years ago even before W10 was common. But nothing really changed here since then.

Plenty of drives here including multiple 8 TByte from WD and Seagate. I swap those daily between several media player brands and my W10 PC:
    - Internal SATA
    - External SATA
    - Inserted into an USB3 Icy Box 5-slot Docking Station

Short Advice: Use a W10 PC with the target HDD (E)SATA attached (you may have a problem to find one):
    - Be sure to remove all partions including any hidden partitions first
    - Format a single partition with defaults using GPT + NTFS
    Never found any 512e HDD that did not work next. Don't try not common yet 4Kn drives!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  3. Oggi

Oggi New Member

Hi Nice Monkey,

Thanks for the reply. I have had a read of the article you directed me to but as far as I can see it doesn't shed any light on my situation. The drive has been working fine up to this point and when recognised by the system still operates fine. I don't believe it's a formatting issue so much as a disk mangement issue with the Zidoo system (although I could be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time!). I am fairly PC literate and have built/configured many PC's over the years but I still enjoy learning more as the technology changes.

If you or anyone has any light to shed on the matter then I'd be grateful, surely I can't be the only person this has/is happening to?

Regards to you all.

4. Nice Monkey

I have seen NTFS filesystems get corrupt on media players. They made it working not adhering to the real specs. I know for sure they never check the 2nd FAT table copy to be identical. Check and correct on a W10 PC if needed with special recovery /correction software.

5. Oggi

Oggi New Member

Hi Nice Monkey,

Thanks for the reply once again. Your last point is interesting as I did pull the drive and connect it to my PC only to be told the file format was not recognised (which I did think was strange). Can you recommend a utility that would be capable of reconfiguring without data loss or would it be easier to reformat and start again (I have several Tb of programming already on the drive which would be a pain to lose).

Regards to you all.

6. Nice Monkey

Start with minitool then there are recovery tools which are not free for the good ones.

7. Oggi

Oggi New Member

Thanks, I'll take a look later.

Regards.

8. Oggi

Oggi New Member

Just in case anyone runs into the same issue the cause of the problem does appear to be that the file system had corrupted on the hard drive. I looked into data recovery software but it was more of a faff than just reformatting the partiton GPT/NTFS and reloading. Good job I keep backups.

Wife still thinks I'm an idiot though!

Regards.