X9 dilemma

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by kakuzawa, Nov 7, 2015.

1. kakuzawa

kakuzawa New Member

Hello,
    I'm about to buy android tv box and still hesitate which one to choose.
    1. I'm really interested in Zidoo X9, but some of the reviewers crtiticise the kodi and problems with playing movies, especially in hevc. I see that the community is active, so I thought I could just ask you. I would like zidoo to be main media player and working kodi is essential - how would you rate X9 in this aspect? Also, can it handle any more advanced skin?
    2. I'm less interested in 4k but I would like to know what are restrictions regarding this resolution - beside lack of 60fps. Can kodi handle 4k content? Also, do you find zido xbmc better than kodi from google play? Can kodi spmc be used? Will the remote work regardless of kodi version?
    3. Another matter, regarding the hdmi recording. Does is it work with ntfs drives? I've seen some hdmi recorders to split files in 2gb chunks, does the X9 do this as well?
    4. Have you recorded from hdmi with hdcp without any issues or the hdmi splitter is necessary?
    5. Does the box overheats? I've read that the temperartures of chasiss can be high, but there is no problem with the device (no throttling etc.)?
    6. Have any of you used Tronsmart M9 - it looks like clone of X9 but can be even ~30 dollars cheaper. Lower chasis quality aside and lack of 1gb ram - would you find it a good alternative to X9?
    7. Do you think that X9 would have android 5.x an/or kodi 15 delievered?

2. azidahaka

azidahaka Member

a fresh user but i'll try to help.

1) It works well and the skin it uses it's good. For some videos you might have better luck with the included media player or VLC
    2) no clue i do not care about 4k and do not have a 4k tv set
    3)It works but i can't tell you about the 2gb split.. usually the splits are at 4gb for ntfs but i never got that a big of a file from my recordings
    4)i record from ps4 straight away and it seems the hcdp bypass is perfect in all other situations
    5)it gets hotter when recording, else i find it to be cool
    6) no clue
    7) Should ask some devs... They never say a word about their plans so no clue. I'm clueless about what would make kodi 15 or android 5.x a better choice than what we already have to be honest...

Only complaint i have is that i would want more control over the hdmi recording... like chosing higher bitrates, different encoder settings and most of all 60fps records!

Bruce Dempsey likes this.
  3. papiguy

papiguy Member

Some answers after several months using Zidoo X9:
    - the firmware is a linux based system and thus "recognises" all types of drive formats. Of course, and if your computer (if you need to use one) is under windows, you can use NTFS, but the best format is ext4.
    - I am using TS format and FHD which produces single files that can be played by most of the players. Do not use microSD cards higher than 32 Gb.
    - I have installed the latest version of Kodi (15.2) and it works well. No problem with the remote.
    - I have recorded about 200 films, first with splitter, and now without (the Zidoo x9 has a "root" mode which allows specific setting). Nb: recording must comply with national regulations.

4. kakuzawa

kakuzawa New Member

Thank you for replies - what are your thoughts about hevc/h265 on Zidoo X9? After all it is "codec of future" :)

5. papiguy

papiguy Member

Up to now, there is quite no offer, by tv networks, of uhd and 3D programs. So there will be several years before a need of ad'hoc players (and recorders) rises. Wait and see.

6. Bruce Dempsey

Bruce Dempsey Member

7. papiguy

papiguy Member