X10 suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by Roje, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Roje

Roje New Member

My X10 suddenly stopped working.
    Whilst watching a movie, the machine suddenly switched off completely, and doesnt even power on any longer. In addition, the power switch at the back of the box is "stuck" in the On position, and I cant even manually switch that off.
    I've removed the screws at the bottom of the box in an attempt to open it up, but I still cant seem to open the thing.
    Any ideas?
    If the internal power supply module is busted, can this be repaired/replaced at all?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The X10 doesn't have an internal power supply, so the first thing I'd do is test the external power supply. If you don't have a multimeter or a friend with one try replace the external power supply - any old 12v 2A wall wart will do to test it. As a permanent solution, if you're using an internal hard disc I'd get a 4A one if the original proves to be faulty.

The stuck power switch is a bit odd and I can't think why on earth it would get stuck.

Once you've figured out how to get into it (I think the top comes off on those) you can use a small jumper on the board like you'd use on a PC motherboard to bypass the switch in case that's faulty.

3. Roje

Roje New Member

Thank you @Markswift2003 for the advice!

So I finally found the problem. Here are my steps:
    - Finally managed to open the box
    - Found another 12V cable, plugged it in, still no power
    - Then started jimmying with the on/off power switch, and noticed the internal fan going on and off
    - Jimmying further with the switch, looked at the LED display, and when trying to force the switch towards the "Off" position, the box came back to life!

The switch is jammed/stuck in the "On" position.

So, apart from taping down the switch (which is likely not to remain secure for long periods, as it requires substantial pressure on the switch), I'm wondering if its a viable option to try and bypass the switch altogether, and in the event I need to hard-power-down/up the box, just unplug and replug the power cable. Is that even a safe option? (I'm unfortunately not a tecchie at that level to know these things :)). How would one "remove" the switch?
    Or should I rather try and "replace" the switch with any other ordinary switch, even if the switch box sits externally?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Absolutely no problem bypassing the switch - that's what I meant about the jumper - just unplug the switch from the mainboard and use one of those little jumpers you find in PCs to bridge the pins - they're the same size.

!cid_4bec9572-9bef-45b3-a704-ffb217624e3a@winuk.jpg

!cid_cd5ada61-3467-40b3-816e-237647f5f751@winuk.jpg

videobruce and Roje like this.