X1 First impressions

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X1' started by Bluesmanuk, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

I've been playing around with the X1 for a few hours now and these are my first impressions.

In the box:

I liked the AC power adapter as is was a universal one that includes a snap on compatible for your region.

Design:

Although it may be cool looking in terms of design, I think that it may have been better to have had a standard box shape, which could have been used to add an extra port or two on the sides/front.
    I first noticed that when I came to plug in a USB stick, it was too wide for the vertical port and had to use the horizontal one, so be aware of that possible restriction.

Launcher:

Basic but functional UI that does the job for basic tasks.

Remote control:

It does it's job, although like all IR based remotes, it can be hit and miss unless you are pointing directly at the X1.
    Personally I don't like these kinds of remote because they are generally just too slow.
    Constantly switching between standard and mouse mode and the relatively slow movement across the screen means that I am either going to develop a right hand as strong as the Hulk or get arthritis very fast.

External mouse:

This is where I found a fundamental flaw.
    I plugged in a logitech wireless mouse receiver that works well with my Raspberry Pi and Tronsmart orion R28 and it would not work at all, so this does dampen the general experience a great deal.
    The ability to use standard 2.4Ghz mouse/keyboard controls is a must for versatility and ease of use for those that don't want to use an IR remote control.
    With no Bluetooth on board, this makes it especially important.

Update: I have now managed to get my wireless mouse to work but only by using a powered USB hub, which adds real estate to the device footprint.
    I am wondering whether there is an issue with shielding.

Other launchers:

This is where I found the X1 go into a virtual meltdown at times.
    I installed Nova launcher and whilst it works, whenever I put the Z1 into standby, when coming out, the box would not come back onto the TV screen, despite there being a blue active light on the X1.
    At times it would simply show no display and on others the TV screen would flash like mad and the sound output ranged from various tones of squealing to a very high pitched and annoying tune.
    When it does successfully boot and you are asked to choose a default launcher, then none of the controls that you would expect to work do so, despite many clicks on a number of buttons.
    The back button was required in order to have any hope of selection.
    When Nova was active, the settings option was no longer available.
    I tried Solo launcher (sideloading because it's not compatible from the Play store) but that also did not show an icon for settings, so it seems that you will have to use the default to make some changes.

Storage space:

Despite it having 8Gb of internal storage, only about 4Gb is left for the user, which indicates that quite a lot has been used up for the OS etc, which seems a little high.

Video playback:

Using the internal video player, playback is extremely good on the whole and matches anything that my RK3288 does using MX Player.
    Colour reproduction is excellent.
    4K playback very good on the whole.
    I did find one very annoying thing though and that is whilst the X1 will auto detect the kind of video that you are playing and adjust the playback accordingly, it almost always detects any video as being 1080p/24 Hz, at which point the TV screen will go blank for a second or two and then become pixelated for a fraction of a second, which is rather annoying because you will miss the first couple of seconds of the video playback.
    There is no VP9 playback though, which I hope will come at some point as I'm sure that Google will gradually adapt this in Youtube.
    The custom version of Kodi on the other hand fails to play rather too many of my test videos well at all, so whatever customisations are in place, they don't seem to be working well at all (try the jellyfish samples to see what I mean)

Rooting:

The X1 comes unrooted and so far I have been unable to apply root.

Wireless performance:

I used airdroid to connect and transfer some files from my PC but it was exceptionally slow to connect to the X1, although after that, file transfer was adequate, if not that great.

Ethernet performance:

I found this to be woeful.

I used a few TV streaming apps (BBC iPlayer etc) and there was a lot of buffering (video quality wasn't that great either for 720p).
    I compared it with the humble Raspberry Pi, and the Pi's throughput was far better.
    General surfing wasn't nearly as good as wireless either.

External SD card:

It is only seeing my 16Gb external SD card as being 501Mb is size, despite being freshly formatted as FAT32 and verified as so in my PC.
    Edit: It does not matter what size card is installed, it it always shown as 501Mb, although all of the actual space available can be written and accessed.

Much more testing to come but these are my initial impressions.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. xenon

xenon New Member

Is there firmware IMG file so i can install(via SD card) it if my firmware is broken?

3. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Video resume issue using internal video player

If I am playing a video and then exit the app part way through, then select the file again, there is a prompt that states:

Replaying the video?
    Confirm Cancel.

If I click on the cancel button, whilst it does continue toplay the video where it was left off, the TV screen goes temporarily blank, which means that you lose a couple of seconds of the continued playback.

Would like to see a more smoother transition.

4. xenon

xenon New Member

First impressions

In the box:Nice box,quality power adapter.

Design:Nice design silver color,but very bad shape and because of thet rear ports have very small space.

Launcher:I think classic android launcher is better then this or why this factory style can not be like some option.

Zidoo Kodi:Nothing special.Some of mines 4k videos which works via X1 internal video player do not works via Kodi.Some options for video settings are missing from original Kodi version.

Cooling:I dont see any holes on the case for the ventilation.

Problems:

-I have tested some of mines 3,5 mm AV cables, but none of them does not work.Please ZIDOO tell me which cables works!!!

-There is problem with Wi-Fi speed.I have used wi fi test app from play store from Zoltan,which use and separate app which need to run on PC.
    I use this app many times.On all of my android players Allwinners A31/ H3/A20,Amlogic S805 i have more then 20 mbits.On X1 i have from 4-9 mbits.I think thet something is wrong with wi-fi speed.Lan speed is ok ( 90 mbits)

Overall:

+Fast and simple UI.
    +Fast SW and HW which put H3 cpu to the limit(except wi-fi speed)
    +Quality materials.

-No option to turn off touch sound.
    -Bad shape and because of thet there is no space left and no side ports,like more usb ports for example.In my opinion X1 must to have something thet other H3 boxes does not have like:
    -Bluetooth.
    -Spdif.
    -more USB ports.

But X1 except design, does not offer something which can be key selling point.

Thank you ZIDOO for X1 present.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  5. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Killing background tasks

How can we use the remote to swipe running background tasks away?

I started playing an .OGG file and it was suggested that I use esmedia player but it just sits in the background playing and unless I install a task killer or reboot, there seems no easy way for me to kill the process.

6. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Downloads button

When I click on this, the list shown does not reflect all that has been downloaded or what is currently in the download folder, some of which have long been deleted.

7. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Browser

I would like to see the browser bookmarks sync added to the ROM by default so that they can be easily synced across devices.

8. spring

spring Guest

Thank you very much for sharing. Now just a start for ZIDOO X1, we will continue to improve our products.
    Now the answer to the points is as follows:
    1:External mouce:
    --I have test the 2.4Ghz mouce/keyboard, it's work well.Could you tell me your model type?We can check it.

2:Setting problem:
    --We will add setting icon for defaule in next fireware,so can see the icon for other launcher.

3:Standby
    --It's maybe the HDMI cable poor contact,you can try pull out then plug in.

4:Auto switch to 24Hz
    --When playing video,you can close this setting throught press menu key.We will improve this in next fireware.

5:Wireless performance:
    --We will check it.

6:video play back:
    --We will check it;

7:AV cables:
    --The order of our line is as follows:
    Catch(07-07-10-1(07-07-10-27-34).jpg
    Can try to exchange a line of order.

8:Background task
    --You can press multe task butter,then chose the app,press up or down butter to kill the app.

9. spring

spring Guest

Hi xenon:
    This is our test pictrue.Can upload a picture for wifi test reuslt?Can you describe some of the test conditions for WiFi? QQ图片20150707132020.jpg

10. xenon

xenon New Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  11. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Thanks for the prompt response.

I have tried two Logitech mice, the M305 and M310.

The standby issue definitely isn't an HDMI issue because if I uninstall the other launchers then the issue no longer exists. I've tested a few times to be sure.

I spotted the button for apps on the remote after checking and it does work very well.

12. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

VPN's don't seem to work

Tried to use Cyberghost but it just sits there trying to connect but never does.

Then tried Hotspot shield and it reports the error:

VPN API is not available on your device. Unable to find explicit activity class (com.android.vpndialogs/com.android.vpndialogs.ConfirmDialog);have you declared this activity in your AndroidManifest.xml?

Because the version of Kodi supplied has a massive amount of repos and addons available to choose from (which now explains the remaining size of internal storage available), setting aside for one moment the legality of using such addons in various areas around the world, the lack of VPN support will be a hinderance to many people and will certainly make them think twice about purchasing if they are unable to surf the net and access services anonymously).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  13. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Bug 13678484 (FakeID)

This well known and advertised bug is not patched in the ROM.

14. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Android settings

If i do use a different launcher, the Android settings icon is not available in the app drawer, so I have to move back to H3UI to gain access to it.

15. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Storage in settings

My external USB flash drive is seen as an SD Card, rather than a USB device.

This is replicated in file managers such as ES file explorer, where instead of the local storage being shown as a USB device, it is given a very odd name (179_5 in my case) that makes no logical sense.

16. HoneCharles

HoneCharles Active Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

1.When we used Wi Fi speed test app,The wifi Speed is ok:
    upload_2015-7-8_11-7-43.png
    Different WiFi channel test
    upload_2015-7-8_11-2-18.png

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

We've already purchased the M310 to test this problem, will have the answer tomorrow.

18. xenon

xenon New Member

To

HoneCharles

Thanks for your results.

I have turn it off X1 during the night and now i have test wi fi speed again and have better result of 24 mbits.
    I will test it again at the end of the day to check does heat is involved in wi fi speed results.

19. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Great stuff.

I have heard of another person with the same problem with their Logitech mouse and also a K400 combo.

I updated my original post to show that if I use a powered USB hub then it does work, so perhaps some kind of 2.4Ghz interference is at play.

20. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Wake from power off when general power is restored

What I mean by this is that when I power the X1 off and then at night go to bed switching off the surge protected supplies that I use, when I switch on the main power, the X1 automatically starts, so unless I want to use it I have to switch the TV on and power the X1 off again.

BTW I do like the fact that even when you power off the X1, it will wake up again with the remote, which is cool.