What Is The Best Location For Poster Folder

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

My posters have to load over and over every time I go into any movie or tv show page. It's driving me insane!!!
    For some reason, the cache does not want to do what it is supposed to do. I have the Poster Location in - storage:// and The Custom Folder Checked. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I tried a factory reset and restoring my library after but it did not help.

2. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

I've always had the same settings and never had a problem.

My library contains 1202 ISO, 539 MKV and 10 MP4.
    Screenshot_20220804-063353.png

3. Nicholas Hewitt

Yeah, I know it works for others but not for me. Does anyone know of what might cause this problem?

4. McBluna

What is your library size?

5. Nicholas Hewitt

About 500 Movies and Maybe 60 TV Shows

6. McBluna

Is it possible for you to separate your sources and just try it for the movies?

7. Nicholas Hewitt

I have 8 powered External Hard Drives hooked up to a powered USB 3.0 hub, which is then plugged into one of the USB 3.0 ports on my Z9X. I asked if that could be the problem and I think i was talking to mark and he didn't think that was the problem, he suggested a factory reset which I did a while back and haven't gotten irritated enough to seek more help until now. But seeing as the posters are saved to the internal drive, that should not matter. Although each drive has images in each movie folder as well for some reason.

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I still have no idea what could be causing this but I'd love to know. @Johnwoto has the same problem and again we never got to the bottom of it.

To answer your question, the best place for the Poster Directory is on the box - so as @McBluna shows above, choose "Custom" and there's no reason to move it from the default location of Storage://

However that's not where the cached thumbnails are saved - this directory just holds copies of posters (as used on the details page), not thumbnails and these are cached at runtime - ie, when a poster is initially called for the details page while using the player.

Also worth noting that if you use local art, the Poster Directory is not used at all for posters - they use the local resource.

The Poster Directory also holds settings, ClearLogos and Backdrops - again, only populating at runtime when first accessed, and again, only applicable if you use online assets and not local ones.

So this isn't the problem here because we're talking about thumbnails, not posters, and usually once the posterwall is populated once, it doesn't need to happen again under normal usage.

I clear and rescan my library a lot, often daily, for various reasons, and when I've rescanned I always page down the posterwall page by page (I have 452 movies) allowing all the thumbnails to populate. Once this is done, the only time the wall has to reload is if I clear the library.

So something else is going on here and I think the only way to figure it out is elimination. If it was me, I'd reset HT4, plug in just one drive directly to the USB port, power it externally, and try that.

Note that when resetting HT4, it resets everything, so need to take note of all your preferences - as I've said before, I can do this in my sleep now, and it takes me approx 2.5 minutes, not including scanning :)

Probably want to take a backup too in case you want to get back to where you are now, but I think the long term solution here is going to be a complete reset of HT4 and a database rebuild, but you still need to figure out why it's happening.

9. Nicholas Hewitt

I am dreading another reset haha. I'll do it soon and post the results.