What is the best HDR setting for me ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Johnkokk, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Johnkokk

Johnkokk New Member

Hi, i've been messing around with my new Z10 pro for the last 15 days and i am not sure which setting i should use for my case.Of course someone can say "check them and decide for yourself".That would be a fair answer but i want make sure that i don't miss soemthing.

So I've got a projector (BenQ W3000), which is 1080p, does not support HDR or DV.

Should i leave the HDR settings to AUTO, VS10 for all content or is there any other setting ? I think there is also one that saying Vs10(HDR,DV and SDR) but i am not on my setup right now to confirm.

The firmware is updated to the last avilable by the way.

By the way i love that box.It's great

Thanks.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

For that projector I would say definitely say VS10 for all content.

If you use Auto and play HDR material the Realtek engine is used to convert HDR to SDR and it's nothing like as good as the VS10 engine.

I'd also experiment with VS10 for HDR and DV content only but VS10 for all content will cause less HDMI resyncs from the projector and will probably give a better image for SDR content.

These are the settings I'd use:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate only

Display/HDR: Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (for all content)
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 8BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV422 12BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235
    Display/Resolution: 1080p 23Hz

By restricting resolution to 1080p (The Z9X does all the scaling) and setting the GUI to 1080p23 you're further reducing the need for HDMI resyncs.

Johnkokk likes this.
  3. Johnkokk

Johnkokk New Member

Thanks a lot.I've seen your topic on recommended settings.I just had doupt about th HDR settings

Cheers