Chat What AV Receiver?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by wizmo, Nov 5, 2021.

1. wizmo

wizmo Member

I'm looking at upgrading to a Neo-S, plus my existing Marantz SR5x is on it's last legs. Would be interested in hearing feedback about what AV receiver your are using and any recommendations.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I've previously had Yamaha and Pioneer receivers but switched to Denons in maybe 2005. Obviously from the same stable as Marantz.

Since then I've had 5 Denons which I've upgraded as codecs progressed and I added speakers etc.

In my cinema I have an 8500 with PMC IB2S's on the front - great for music and room shaking movies.

Prior to that I had the pre-amp processor combo (A1HD) but when I went Atmos the power amp didn't have enough amplifiers (10) and unfortunately Denon stopped making pre/pro combos.

So from my point of view I'd look to the most expensive current Denon you could afford to cover the number of speakers you have.

wizmo and muha like this.
  3. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Adding to @Markswift2003 comments. Get a Denon model with Audyssey xt32. It does a better job than plain Audyssey.

wizmo likes this.
  4. Snoopy8

Snoopy8 New Member

I prefer AVRs which have good room correction Software like Anthem Room Correction (ARC) or Dirac Live. ARC is limited to the Anthem family, but with Dirac Live, there are more options including NAD, Arcam, Onkyo, Pioneer, Integra, Emotiva, JBL..

5. Nicholas Degenhart

Nicholas Degenhart New Member

I am late to this chat but I run an ARCAM AVR20 (with a couple amps as well). I am very happy with the quality of sound from this AV. Came from an Onky0 before that and there is no question the ARCAM is better. Plus, just like Snoop8 said...Dirac Live is amazing