Weird out-of-the-blue "Can't play video" errors

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by RasterEyes, Aug 23, 2023.

Tags:
  1. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

I was trying to play Season 3, Episode 20 of a show I've been watching (with no problems playing nearly 60 previous episodes) when a short, simple error, "Can't play video", appeared.

I decided I'd look into the problem later and just watch something else. I played the first episode of that other show, no problem. Tried to play the second... "Can't play video".

I've played a lot of videos on my Zidoo Z10 Pro before without this ever happening, so I thought maybe the player was simply in a buggy state, and power-cycling it might help. It didn't.

I then decided to try to play the troublesome videos on my laptop using VLC. No problems at all. VLC considered these to be perfectly acceptable MKV files.

I went back to the Zidoo and tried refreshing metadata. Oddly enough that made technical metadata that had been there before (frame rate, resolution, DTS audio, etc.) disappear, and certainly didn't make playback work any better. In fact, it gave me a clue that the Zidoo couldn't read these file for some unknown reason, even though VLC found them perfectly acceptable.

As an experiment, I remuxed the problem MKV files using MKVToolNix. THAT fixed the problems.

Of course, now that I've fixed the problem files I can't dig any deeper into what went wrong unless the problem crops up again.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this?