Way to fix the SDR banding issues?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by andy22, May 24, 2022.

1. andy22

andy22 Active Member

I noticed some anomalies in pure SDR mode, it seems the normal RTD 1619DR path has banding/clipping issues?

If i compare those test files to each other, the banding is pretty obvious on my TV in the middle blue section.
    • VS10 enabled: "multi pattern DV P8.mkv" or "multi pattern HDR10" = correct
    • VS10 disabled: "multi pattern SDR.mkv" = banding issues, clipping issues
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yAq-jgsb8pYa92PnGZkxyEV0E3VVkhiC

I don't like what VS10 does to SDR content, the colors get shifted too much and especially Anime characters now get a waxy looking skin tone. I also can't find any settings for the VS10 engine to modify the SDR->HDR conversion?

So does anyone have tips on how to mitigate those SDR defects?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

This has been noted previously many times and is endemic to the SOC.

As you've noted, banding exhibits in blue when using the Realtek engine and all but disappears with VS10.

It's easy to see with a tortuous test pattern (eg 10-bit HDR S+M Chroma Alignment) but it will rarely, if ever, manifest in real world content.

Point to note is that for SDR 8-bit content it's not an issue at all - it does not manifest if you throw an S+M 8-bit SDR chroma alignment pattern at it.

3. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Any experience on HEVC 10bit Anime encodes?
    Just wondering is HEVC 10 bit worse than HEVC + software dither in 8 bit on the Realtek engine?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No - not something I've ever played to be honest.

I've only ever seen this banding on 10-bit patterns on this SOC, and then only in blue. If you drill down to individual quantisation levels you see this sort of thing with any player - I don't think I've come across one that doesn't do it to some degree.