VS10 with HDR Off

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Tomas Monteiro, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Tomas Monteiro

Tomas Monteiro New Member

Hi!

I’ve recently purchased a Zidoo Z10 Pro for my Wemax Nova Projector.

My projector supports HDR but it is very poor in doing so, it tends to darken everything. Normally I use SDR, where it shines, but I can’t switch it off natively on my projector. I switch it off in my PS5, Apple TV, bluray player, etc…

I bought the Zidoo because of its tone mapping abilities in order to watch UHD HDR and DV converted to SDR.

The problem is that currently I don’t see anyway to use the VS10 with said contents switching off HDR. Because I can’t switch HDR natively on my projector, Zidoo always sends HDR signal onto my projector. I know there is the higher SDR 709 and 2020 options but they work really bad compared to the VS10. They often change the brightness during scenes and the colors don’t seem accurate.

So my main question is if there is any way of using VS10 (which is great) but force it to output SDR.

Thanks to all of you!

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Load this EDID into the Zidoo (Settings/Display/Custom EDID):

https://mega.nz/file/dX4wgKAb#523dTeN-tmgPg99aF2uBND89boy_P6VBfnQOH4SMEPw

This is an SDR only EDID so the Zidoo will think it's connected to an SDR display.

Then you can use VS10 for all content or just for HDR and DV if you wish and the output will be VS10 SDR.

Tomas Monteiro likes this.
  3. Tomas Monteiro

Wow, never thought there would be a magical solution to this! Will try it out immediately, thanks!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  4. Tomas Monteiro

Thank You!

This solved my problem entirely. Picture is looking fabulous in SDR like it never did. I’m sad of loosing the depth of colors in HDR but for that I’ll have to upgrade my projector. The downgrade in blacks and overall dark image wasn’t worth it.

Hope this thread helps anyone with the same problem as me.

Thank You once again.

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Great! Glad it worked.

In all honestly you won't see a huge difference in colours or even dynamic range in real world content despite translation to Rec.709 - green is still green, red is still red and blue is still blue and with most projectors struggling to top 100nits the very best HDR image any projector can manage is SDR so it's simply a case of deciding what device is best to do the tone mapping and the Zidoo is quite good at it!

(That's not a bad thing - projection is, in my opinion, the correct way to watch a movie and it definitely shouldn't be burning your retinas out)

I have to say the newer boxes have better VS10 tone mapping to SDR but it's only really noticeable on tortuous content. And as you may have noticed, they do have other "issues"...

6. Tomas Monteiro

Totally agree with you. I find the projector image to be much more pleasant to watch a movie. I also have this opinion that watching a reflection of a light source (aka - projector movie watching) is just like in real world, where almost everything you see is also a reflection of a light source (unless you stare directly at light bulbs, the sun, etc). Contrary to TVs, where you’re watching the light source all the time.

Was thinking, that EDID you sent me is limited to rec.709. Wouldn’t it make sense to have one to bt2020? Although my projector isn’t capable of HDR decently, maybe it would benefit a little from the broader color spectrum?

All the Best!