VS10 & HLG HDR

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Hippoponderous, Nov 11, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with VS10 processing HLG?

I've had my Z9X set to output everything as LLDV with great results since day one. However, I watched a high-bitrate UHD rip yesterday which only contained HLG metadata & it looked atrocious. There was banding, black crush & it felt like I was watching a poor-quality, low-bitrate rip. When I disabled the VS10 processing (set HDR to auto), the HLG HDR video looked incredible.
    This was the first & only HLG file I've fed the Z9X, and I've never had any issues with VS10/LLDV butchering SDR, DV, or HDR10/+ files.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Interesting - Yes, there has always been an issue with HLG and VS10, but not with banding as far as I am aware, and also not with black crush - the issue I always had was with a raised black floor - the age old "raised black level" issues.

But as you say, this goes away with setting HDR to Auto with HLG being handled natively by the Realtek engine.

I don't think it'e ever been addressed and has been overlooked because HLG is a broadcast only HDR mode so there has been very little content flying about.

3. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

OK, good to know.
    Totally understandable.

Thanks, Mark. :)