VS10 For HDR10 Without DV

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Feb 20, 2023.

Tags:
  1. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Let me begin by saying, I've had issues with HDR10 and flickering on different TVs, different receivers, different Media players including the Oppo 203, Shield Pro, and Z9X. I even tried different discs of the same movies and issues stayed persistent. And these are easily replicated anytime on same content, and include things like screen and black-bar flickers, macro blocking, screen-tearing etc. almost always in darker scenes.

Few Examples:

1. Alien Covenant 4K - Screen/black-bars flicker with white background on the open Credits just before the sterile white room where David and Wayland have a conversation.

2. 300 4K - Macro blocking and screen-tear when Spartan doctor is done inspecting the baby and there's a thunder and fade to black - right before the white pillars are shown in the next scene.

3. Spiderman Far From Home 4K - Macro blocking and screen-tear when Mysterio attacks Spiderman mid movie and changes the view from construction building to a school-hallways with lights dangling above.

4. King Kong 4K - This one's weird because its the only one with Banding in the movie and a lot of it. Also has some blooming. The entire scene when a mysterious Fog engulfs the ship right before they reach the island, the fog is a complete banding mess.

Now here's where things get interesting. I have tried many different settings on TVs, players, receivers, and could not get rid of these issues. What seems to work at resolving all those issues is using VS10/DV on HDR10 content. No more screen-tearing, macro-blocking, even the blooming and all the banding in King Kong is gone with VS10. And all this is great but this comes with a huge caveat. I am not a fan of the overly bright and extra sharper picture that VS10 produces for HDR10; the motion handling is even worse to my eyes when doing this conversion. I tried other different colorspace settings without VS10, but nothing made a difference otherwise.

So my question is can I use some type of custom setting where I can reap the benefits of VS10 for HDR10 and get rid of all these issues but not actually kick in DV? @Markswift2003 @Nice Monkey and others pls chime in and share your thoughts. I can provide more details if need be.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not really sure what you're after and I've certainly not experienced what you describe. VS10 can output SDR, HDR10 or Dolby Vision depending on the Display/EDID.

3. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Hey Mark, basically what I am saying is that VS10 resolves all these issues but also coverts HDR10 into DV and has unwanted changes to the overall PQ. Is it possible to check/see exactly what VS10 is doing to resolve these issues and somehow implement those changes via custom settings without actually using VS10/DV conversion. I don't think you can use VS10 without DV?
    PS, these are all on TVs, most likely not an issue on Projectors.

4. Markswift2003

VS10 converts whatever you want (SDR, HDR, DV or all of them) to whatever the "highest" HDR mode of your display is (SDR. HDR. DV - in that order).

So if you have a DV display, VS10 will convert to DV.

However, if you want to restrict VS10 to convert to HDR10 on a DV display then all you need to do is load an HDR10 EDID (there's one in in the first post in the EDID thread). If you want SDR, load an SDR EDID etc...

B0RN likes this.
  5. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yes! that is precisely what I want to do on my C9 and sorta have the best of both worlds, resolve the issues while still only using HDR10+VS10 (no DV) for HDR10 content. Apologies for not being clear on this as it was tough to explain but if what you are saying works, it will be PERFECT! Thanks again.

6. Markswift2003

Load this EDID:

https://mega.nz/file/JDQQ3bRR#hV0ysOTilDQWeYEFcwQrOF4LitrLHnGmPrA2WMmFAgc

And then you can choose whichever VS10 mode you want and VS10 will convert to HDR10 only.

Alternatively, if you post your own EDID I can remove the Dolby Block so it's exactly the same as before just without DV.

B0RN likes this.
  7. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Awesome, thanks I will give this a try - though want to make sure everything DV will still play in DV correct?? This will just effect the HDR10 content?

8. Markswift2003

No, DV will be converted to HDR10 - Using that EDID you're telling the Zidoo that the display is HDR10 only so VS10 will only go as far as HDR10.

There's no way (other than switching EDIDs on the fly which is extremely cumbersome) to use VS10 to convert SDR and HDR10 to HDR10 and keep DV as DV.

9. Markswift2003

But to be honest, by "converting" the HDR10 layer of DV to HDR10 with VS10 you're not losing much, if anything, over playing DV natively.

Best bet is to just try it and see what you think.

People get caught up in wanting particular formats because they believe they're "better" because some marketing guy says so. Always trust your eyes and you won't go far wrong.

Netmask likes this.
  10. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Ahh darn okay I was thinking this is too easy hahaha, and I still want DV to play as DV etc.

And I tried converting HDR10 to DV and could easily tell there was a lot of edge enhancement going on and bit blown out brights. But haven't tried playing everything to HDR10 like you are suggesting. Worth a try!

11. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Morning Mark, as it turns out both the EDID and the HDR10 Only setting under HDR must not have the VS10 data that the DV conversion does and resolved none of the issues. So the choice is either live with them or convert HDR10 to DV. I was really hoping kicking in HDR10 VS10 would do the trick but no such luck. Thanks for the suggestion/ideas anyways.