Volume

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Oldpainless, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

Hi,

Just a quick question based on an observation - The volume on the Ziddo seems lower compared to other devices I have (PC/PS4 etc). Running raw output via HDMI (yes, the volume on the Zidoo is at max).

Any thoughts?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

For an encoded bitstream, eg Dolby or DTS and variants thereof, HDMI output is just that - a bitstream - so volume is not relevant - the source just spits the bits out from the file and the processor deals with decoding, including levels.

For a PCM output, the source can apply volume (or more correctly, gain) so there can be variations between sources. However, sources should treat output max as 0db line level* and anything below is an attenuation rather than applying gain (which would over modulate the AVR etc) and I think that's what the Zidoos do - I certainly haven't noticed lower levels, but then I don't use PCM very often.

* just in case anyone pays too much attention to this, yes, there are different consumer levels and production levels, but I'm keeping it general refering to line level at 1v p-p ;)

I always knock line back a few db so as not to risk over-modulation.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  3. Oldpainless

Ok, that's what I thought. So I guess maybe the other devices are applying some gain on PCM.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If there is a difference it's likely you're right and the Zidoo is using a lower level - although production equipment tends to push line level to say 1.3v p-p (forget what that is in db) so it's possible both ways.

If you really wanted to know you could use a test tone and a VU meter...

5. Oldpainless

Thanks Mark......I'll not be rushing out to get a VU meter :)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  6. Oldpainless

Ok, don't want to be THAT dog with a bone, but......

There is a considerable difference in range (depth) and db (loudness) on my Zidoo compared to other devices. On the others, 25 on my amp starts a street party...to get the same db, I have to up the volume significantly, and even then, is doesn't seem to have same low end punch, as compared to even a ps3, and yes, seems to apply to both bitstream and pcm.

Perhaps others might be able to test on other audio playback equipment?

Could just be something my end, as always......

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  7. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Typically, surround processors or receivers have adjustments for input volume for separate inputs.. My Denon 6200 does... so I can adjust for different volume levels between sources. And FYI, if you really want to know what your proper volume levels are, switch your receiver to Reference volume scale, instead of Absolute. That way you are seeing exactly where you are at volume-wise compared to a calibrated reference. And FWIW, I notice no problem with lower than normal volume on my Z9X as compared to other sources...

8. Oldpainless

Good point, will check.

9. Oldpainless

Ok, lots of digging, and got to the bottom of it......

Zidoo's do not do any form of normalisation (and perhaps they shouldn't for the sake of purity), so, if you have a mid to high end Yamaha AVR, for the love of god, make sure "ultra low jitter pll mode is set to "off"", not level 1.

Pete B likes this.
  10. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hey! Glad you got to the bottom of this. I am getting to the point where my memory is deteriorating lol and so cannot remember if I've seen this setting in my Yamaha RX-1070. Do you know where exactly this setting appears, so I can check - apologies if asked before. Like all our equipment these days, there are so many settings, no bad thing but old gits like me have to constantly write stuff down and the pile of paper now defeats the objective!

Thanks

11. Oldpainless

No problem. On the amp remote press on-screen, then select input, then press up and you will see "ultra low jitter pll mode". There is off, lvl1, lvl2 and lvl3.

12. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Brilliant thank you! I'll check it out when I next watch or listen to something :)

Oldpainless likes this.