Using Z9X with a HDEnvy MADVR box

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Liam Hudson, Aug 22, 2023.

1. Liam Hudson

Liam Hudson New Member

Hi guys

I have a MadVR box and unlike Shield or AppleTV I don’t have any instructions how to setup up the Zidoo device properly for it.

Theoretically it should be simple.

I basically want to turn OFF any processing to the picture at all. No tone mapping, upscaling etc etc… I’m on a projector so no Dolby Vision either. Just the simplest unadulterated picture which the MadVR box can go to town on.

many tips? There are a load of frankly quite confusing menu options around chroma and DV where the simple ‘off’ option isn’t obvious at all.

help!

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Like this:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution

Display/HDR: Auto
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235
    Display/Resolution: Auto*

* or you can set a discrete resolution/refresh to your preference - won't make a difference to video content, this is only for the GUI.

3. Liam Hudson

Liam Hudson New Member

This is super helpful… many thanks…

anything on the DV side of things ? Assuming if no DV source material it’s all fine ?

Markswift2003 likes this.
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Several ways to approach DV:

1. Do nothing
    If you play DV material it will be either converted to HDR10 by VS10 (if Profile 5) or the HDR10 base layer will play (Profile 7) so you don't need to do anything.

2. Remove DV (Profile 7/8 only)
    You can use DoviTool to remove the DV layer from files leaving only the HDR10 layer. This does not apply to Profile 5.

3. LLDV Trick
    Use a BT.2020 LLDV EDID, output LLDV from the Zidoo and tell the Envy it's receiving BT.2020 HDR10.