Using Optical Output

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Akamolik, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Akamolik

Akamolik New Member

Does anyone know the optimal/required settings when using the optical output on an X9S?

I purchased an optical D/A converter, and a tube amplifier, I understand how to hook it all up up fine but I'm not sure about the various audio settings or which audio format/compression I should be using.

I wish to solely use the optical cable, I don't really need audio passed to HDMI if that helps preserve the signal, right now the TV is muted and audio is passed to the AV output and sent to the pre-amp.

Does anyone use optical? whats settings should I be using?

2. JohnS

JohnS Member

set optical to raw, nothing else

3. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

RAW: sends pure sound, the decoding is done by external source
    PCM: Decoding is done by box ( 2.0 only)

4. JohnS

JohnS Member

You’re right

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Sorry to contradict but:

Only right if decoding refers to DD and DTS to LPCM conversion and de-multiplexing.
    RAW: sends out as-is digital sound untouched, the D/A conversion is done by the external DAC
    PCM: Re-multiplexes any digital sound to 2.0 LPCM channels, the D/A conversion is still done by the external DAC

PCM may actually be the required setting for a 2-channel DAC plus stereo Tube Amplifier as the DAC probably does not understand RAW multi-channels and or DD/DTS digital sources.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  6. JohnS

JohnS Member

I have mine connected to a logitech z-5500 as a decoder and im using RAW, decoding is done by the logitech (amp)

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Correct with RAW as it is a multi-channel amplifier. :)