Using a player with internal storage as a server, is it possible?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by AngeloMM, Jun 8, 2023.

1. AngeloMM

AngeloMM New Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a question regarding those player (no matter the model right now) that does have the internal storage: is it possible to use them as a server, in order to make the content available for other devices (pc, smartphone, tablet and so on) connected to the same network?
    I cannot buy a NAS because I have not enough physical space available so my probably only choice would be to buy a player with internal storage (I'd like to install one or two 14/16Tb disks), and I wonder if I can use the player as a NAS (sort of) that could be accessed from my other devices.
    Any chance?
    Thank you in advance.
    Best regards

Angelo

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I can play files stored on either of the 2 internal drives in my Zidoo UHD3000 on my iPhone and iPad and PC. On my iPad I use F E File Explorer Pro. On my PC simple mapped drives or open a file within VLC etc.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

To confirm, yes - All current boxes have a Samba server built in so you can connect to all drives by SMB.

4. AngeloMM

AngeloMM New Member

Hi, many thanks to all of you for the positive feedback, that's a great news that will help me to do the right choice!
    Best regards

Angelo