usb 3.0 is slow

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by filip kenens, Mar 2, 2017.

1. filip kenens

filip kenens Member

hi,
    when i put external hard drive in the usb 3.0 the audio dts stutters and the movie stops sometimes,but when i put it in the usb 2.0 everything works good,does anyone know what it could be ?

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

well. It's definetly not the speed. i'm writing to my USB 3.0 HDD on law with 113 MB/s , can you do a write/read speed test ?

3. filip kenens

filip kenens Member

I have done the test and my read is 6,1 MB/s and write 92 MB/s,it's not so fast,should i do something different in the settings of my zidoo x9s ?

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

6,1 read ? that's waaaaay to low. what's the speed on usb 2.0 ?

5. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

...and read speed so much lower then write speed ? More then an order of magnitude? Never seen before.
    Which app have you used to test speed on X9S?
    Have you tried another USB 3.0 cable to connect it?
    Which speed testing it on PC (pleas give us which program you use to test speed on PC)?

6. filip kenens

filip kenens Member

On usb 2.0 Read 30MB/s Write 28MB/s

7. filip kenens

filip kenens Member

I've Tried another cable and it's the same and i used Disk speed test.

8. filip kenens

filip kenens Member

I used 3 3.0 usb cables and read speed is 6.1 MB/s and when is use 2.0 cables it is 38MB/s that is strange.

9. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

What is the drive?

10. filip kenens

filip kenens Member

It is a medion drive.

11. PacoRabanne

Please, could you give us the link of the app "Disk speed test"?
    What is the speed of this disk connected to a PC? Both to USB2 or USB3 ports if possible?

12. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yeah have seen this too. A Toshiba USB3 HDD connected to a W10 PC: Connected to a USB2 port worked normally but connected to a real USB3 port it would fall back to USB1. Did not get the time to find the root cause, but probably a driver issue. USB3 is a bit complicated with (too) many options. It was using a special micro-port USB3 cable so definitely a suitable one.

13. Ten_of_a_Kind

Ten_of_a_Kind New Member

I observed the same thing. I cpoied over a 3.4Gb file to the internal memory, and the read speed fluctuated between 9Mbs - 15Mbs. As a bonus, in the middle of the copy the device hung up (picture frozen, mouse / remote not responding). Later after a power-boot I saw only 2.9Gb of the file made it.

External 2.5" Western Digital Blue Series HD connected through USB 3 port.

Disappointing to say the least.

14. filip kenens

filip kenens Member

Hi
    I tested 3 3.0 hard drives,2 hard drives from medion,when i use 3.0 usb cables the read is 15 and write 60,and with usb 2.0 cables i have read 39 and write 38
    Then with the other 3.0 hard drive from lacie i have with usb cable 3.0 read 27 and write 66.
    So my conclusion is that 3.0 cables not work as good then 2.0,weird.

15. filip kenens

filip kenens Member

I tested also on my pc with usb 3.0 and read is 11 and write 111 and on usb 2.0 read 15 and write 36.

16. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

there is something wrong with your drive then. i'm geting 113 MB read and write over samba share ( probably will go higher but my router can only do 113 MB )

17. PacoRabanne

Disappointed that no one answered to my question: which are the program and app you are using to test drive speed on PC and on X9S?
    This is needed to have coherent results.
    To HaoSs, undoubtedly interesting results, but here the discussion is about USB (2.0 and 3.0) HD Drive read and write speed.
    Anyway, I have some external USB 3.0 HDD connected (on demand) to my PC. Speed transfer rate are at least more then 100 MByte/second. And are not the fastest available on the market. Simply 3 or 4 TB commercial USB 3.0 3.5" HDD. Indeed had some troubles with cables, not the supplied with, but other longer I bought. It was needed to send them back and buyong other of higher quality and longer less then 3 mt.

18. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

my HDD is connected to the box via USB 3.0 so the read and write from samba to my PC is related to read and write of my HDD on usb 3.0

19. PacoRabanne

OK, so the effective transfer speed may be higher.
    Or you have a so high network speed to have the HDD speed to limit transfer rate?
    How much you gain sharing an internally attached drive?
    Only for curiosity...

20. filip kenens

filip kenens Member

hi pacorabanne,
    i tested on android with disk speed test and on pc sparkdale.