UHD3000 HDD selection

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by coyote2, May 23, 2022.

1. coyote2

coyote2 Member

I like to keep my HDDs cool; I'm much more interested in that than I am in silent fans.

How good are the UHD3000 HDD fan(s?) at keeping the two hard drives cool? Do y'all stick to low-power (and thus low heat) HDDs such as WD Red Plus?

Can I assume that the UHD3000 supports HDD's as high capacity as one can get?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

3. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Thank you very much for your reply, Nice Monkey! I ran out of time to read that thread yesterday, sorry I posted my question first.
    Extremely good to know, thanks!

Google tells me that (as I expected) the UHD3000 has a 64-bit CPU. Are there plans to upgrade it to 64-bit Android? (I would love to not be limited to internal 16TB HDDs. [Of course I understand that HDDs over the network would have no such capacity limitation.])

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

In principal everything is possible but going to 64-bit immediately doubles RAM use. I don't see it happening anywhere soon and definitely not for current models with 2 GByte only.

coyote2 likes this.
  5. coyote2

coyote2 Member

FYI because I'm quite enthusiastic about keeping my HDDs cool, I decided on a 16TB WD Red Pro drive after comparing 16TB 'NAS' HDD power consumption for WD and Seagate (the only HDD manufacturers I consider):

WD Red Pro
    6.2 W Read/Write

WD Gold
    6.5 W Read/Write

Seagate IronWolf
    7.3 W Read/Write

Seagate IronWolf Pro
    7.6 W Read/Write

(The WD Red Plus line is historically coolest, however it maxes out at 14TB [WD has long been very slow to increase max capacity in that line] and that one is 6.5W anyway.)

The silver lining to the 16TB limit is it's less expensive to buy a HDD not at peak capacity.