UHD3000 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Adrian Girling, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Adrian Girling

Adrian Girling New Member

Hi

The fan noise from my UHD3000 is (for a piece of AV equipment) pretty horrendous. It sounds like an old PC starting up and is audible from the seating position (10+ feet away) when sound is low to medium on the movie. I have the fan set to auto and I have 2x 14tb WD Red Pro (7200rpm) drives installed.

Is this noise to be expected? Does anyone else suffer from it and are there any solutions? Otherwise, it’s a fantastic device.

Cheers

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Just read my review. Described in detail there.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/practical-experiences-using-the-uhd3000.86061/
    Those very small fans all produce a nasty sound.

WD Red Pro is a good HDD but meant for NAS and produces ample heat plus noise. Not my pick for a media player.
    Be sure to have just one drive spinning (setting spin down at 10 min or less). If Auto fan spins above medium then you may force it at medium. The (regular) speed changes are the worst regarding noise in my perception.

Using 2.5 inch HDD's solves it all (excellent for music). No audible noise from those and safe to set fan to Off/Auto.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022