Transferring Existing Movie Collection To New Internal HD

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Christopher57, May 4, 2022.

1. Christopher57

Christopher57 New Member

I have been searching through the Zidoo Forums for sometime looking for this info but have only found answers on formatting the Hard Drive.
    I have a Z1000 Pro that currently uses SMB to access my movies on a Windows 10 PC on my network. I have purchased a Red WD Hard Drive that I want to use internally on the Zidoo.
    I will format the drive on the PC with GPT and NTSF.
    My questions are:
    1. Can I just copy my movie collection to the WD drive while connected to the PC then insert it into the Zidoo?
    2. Once installed, since the Zidoo is currently pointed at the PC via SMB how do I default it to look at the hard drive instead of SMB?

Thank you in advance!

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

There's an option in "Sources" to do this but I've never tried it myself:

1. Copy the movie collection from the windows PC to the new drive.

2. Connect the new drive to the Zidoo and add it as a source in HT but don't scan.

3. With the new drive selected in "Sources", press <menu> and select "Synchronise data from other source":

upload_2022-5-4_20-49-8.png

4. Now select the old drive as the "data source device":

upload_2022-5-4_20-49-45.png

5. Let it do it's thing and then remove the old source - highlight the old source, press <menu> and select "Remove":

upload_2022-5-4_20-51-28.png

6. You should be left with one source, the new one, and the library should be transferred to it.

Or that's the theory - as I say, I've never had cause to try it. Before doing anything I'd make a backup of the database (HT/settings/library/backup) just in case something goes pear shaped.

3. Christopher57

Christopher57 New Member

I will do the B/U and then try this. I will post back here after.
    Thank you Mark!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  4. Christopher57

Christopher57 New Member

One more question. I have the movie collection on PC on two different drives with 2 Movie Folders on each.
    On each drive there is a .HomeTheatre Folder showing as well as .HomeTheatre Folders in each 0f the 4 Movie folders. Do I copy all of these to the new drive as well?

Netmask likes this.
  5. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I have the same question - clearly one can't copy the folder per se over as it would displace the existing folder and content on the "copied to drive" but rather copy the contents of each folder within .HomeTheatre into their respective existing backdrops, cache, logos and posters. I guess the simple way to find out is to simply remove the old drive, reboot and see if anything is missing in the artwork, assuming all video's have been moved across first.

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I don't think so - that folder is created on the fly by HT and its location depends on where the "Poster Folder" is in settings.

The best option is to set it to "Custom" and leave the default location as "Storage" so it resides on the box flash - this means drives don't have to spin up to use it.

So I would carry out the procedure above and then change the Poster Folder to Custom.

7. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

On the UHD3000 it has 2 USB ports at the back, I was thinking of putting a small memory stick in and using it for HT instead of Storage that could? Get tight as far as space?

8. Christopher57

Christopher57 New Member

Sorry this took so long to reply. Everything worked great following your instructions, but it did the Scan automatically. All good now but I have another issue that I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere else. I added the Zidoo as a Share location to both our PC's on our network so I can transfer from PC to the Internal HD in the Z1000. I don't have the Zidoo powered all the time, only when viewing and transferring Data. When the Z1000 is powered off, my PC's keeps looking for the drive. This usually happens after I have done a transfer but there must be a way to stop the PC from constantly looking for the powered down drive. I will send a pic of the access error. Thank you!

Attached Files:

9. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

You can check free space for all drives including Zidoo internal storage in advanced settings. I have HT, ZDMC and music database on internal drive Z9X 16GB. So far so good.

it’s good idea to keep everything on internal storage as per Mark instructions to speed up poster wall scrolling and repopulation.