Synology DS218

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by Chasworks, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Chasworks

Chasworks New Member

I have about 3TB of FLAC files stored on a Synology DS218. I've attached it to my DMP-A6 using a USB cable plugged into the OTG USB input on the A6. The DS218 appears on Drive Z in File Explorer on my PC. Plex can access it via my home network.
    But for some reason it's not recognized by the A6.
    I'm assuming it should appear in Music. If I click on Add Folder it doesn't appear in any of the available options.
    I've left the Source as Internal Player as USB 3.0 isn't an option.
    I've tried replacing the USB cable.
    What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Eric777

Eric777 Member

Perhaps too late...
    With my Synology NAS, I've shared a folder with user/password and I'm using SMB protocol to access it from A6.
    It works with Ethernet/Wifi.

Seachief likes this.
  3. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Just check that yout OTG USB port setting is set to mass storage if you are directly connecting. It won't appear in Music I think but under Files. As said by another poster, you should be also able to see it over your LAN if the NAS drive shows itself as a Samba share ot equivalent.

4. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

As far as I know the USB port on the DS218 only supports USB drives. It's not a network port as such. The USB port on the DS218 is there so you can expand your storage access beyond the capacity of the SATA drives installed in its bays.
    In other words, to access the content of your DS218 you have to do this via the ethernet port. A typical configuration would be DS218 --> ethernet cable ---> router ---> ethernet cable or wi-fi to your DMP-A6.

Chasworks likes this.