Switching to Z9X from Z9S

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nejiro, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

I am a very satisfied user of a Z9S and I am thinking of upgrading to the Z9X for the sole reason of having Dolby Vision support from MKV files, I am currently testing a Dune HD Real Vision 4K which claims to support DV but it doesn't actually work for me , that is, it works only if I put the option to activate DV for all HDR files but in doing so I also go to DV mkv files that don't have DV, if instead I put the setting to activate DV for only files with DV do not go in DV but only in HDR, I post the information of the MKV file that I am using as proof that it should contain the DV but that I can not get it to work, so before taking the Z9X I would like to know if the DV works .I use the latest version of MkvToolNix https://mkvtoolnix.download/
    Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The Zidoo Z9X is much more adept at handling Dolby Vision, HDR and controlling EDID (especially for MKV files) than the Dune players - there is much greater control of variables although this may or may not be relevant to you depending on your usage. Although the Dunes are undoubtedly better at handling BDMenu, in all other respects they are inferior.

However, as far as DV files are concerned, both use the Dolby Vision VS10 engine and when set correctly, both perform equally for DV content - the files you show above do not appear to be Dolby Vision which would explain why they don't trigger a Dolby Vision output.

This is an example of how a DV file should look in MediaInfo:

Profile 5, Level 6:

upload_2021-8-13_23-1-6.png

Profile 7, Level 6:

upload_2021-8-13_23-2-45.png

3. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

Thank you so much for the answer ...... I don't know what to do then, maybe it could be that MkvToolNix doesn't manage the DV in the muxing phase?

I confirm everything you said about the Dune (in fact I'm sending it back), it disappointed me, I consider the Zidoo superior in everything and also consider that I am relatively interested in the blu ray menus as I have very few iso files, I almost all have mkv. .....

I am undecided whether to take the Z9X at this point, already Android 9 seems to me a good step forward compared to the 7 of the Z9S but first I have to understand how to make the DV work on MKV files ...

4. Enet

Enet Active Member

What are you trying to do? If you are ripping DV files from a disc then use MakeMKV. If you are muxing a DV file with MKVToolNix then as long as you don't add or subtract anything from the video components then the video will remain the same.

As Mark says, your files are not DV. The first file is 1080p and I don't think I've seen many (or any) 1080p DV files. If the original files were DV then you may have either added or subtracted something from the original video components of the files.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  5. Markswift2003

Just to be clear, Dolby Vision streams (ie layers) are 10-bit video - it's only 12-bit on output.

6. Enet

Enet Active Member

Thanks.

7. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

I checked my MKVs and realized I had one with the DV track, so I reopened the box of the Dune that I was ready to send back and it actually works, good to know ... same the Z9X as the software of the Dune I do not like at all .....

8. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Switch to the Z9X its an awesome machine. Far from perfect but what is? Its matured to a point where it is amazing at handling and playing back DV. OK BD menu playback is problematic but I've made peace with that based on it excellent HT4 and DV playback.

The icing on the cake is that Zidoo have a great community and the mods and dev team are extremely receptive to feedback and suggestions.

Markswift2003 and DELUCAS like this.
  9. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

Ordered the Z9X.......

Markswift2003 likes this.
  10. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

In the meantime I am waiting for the z9x I have seen that in the dune regarding the DV there are several options that I have left automatically and the DV is always reproduced in LLDV, I tried to put STD DV and the film is played but on a completely pink screen , I guess the same thing will happen to me with the Zidoo, I wanted to ask you why it happens to me and what are the differences between LLDV and STD DV, my tv is a Sony 65AG8
    Thank you

11. Markswift2003

Yes, the same will happen with the Zidoo - It's because your TV is LLDV only.

It's a bit more complicated than this, but in simple terms, LLDV is Player Led - ie the player processes the Dolby Vision signal and Standard DV is TV Led - the TV processes it.

Sony only started producing TV Led Dolby Vision displays in 2020.

12. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

My tv is oled from 2019......

13. Markswift2003

Yes, so LLDV only.

14. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

Hello everyone, today the Z9X should arrive, I wanted to know what firmware you recommend me to install, with the Z9S I always used beta firmware and I have always liked it, what do you recommend for this? Also better firmware with or without google? Z9X works well Netflix, Prime Video etc ... with audio and video I would prefer to put the firmware with google .... because with the Z9S there is no full support for Netflix and Prime video, that is, the audio only goes in stereo instead of 5.1, the 4k does not go etc .....
    Thanks

15. Markswift2003

No reason not to go with the latest.

This one is received OTA (Over The Air) so you need to tick the beta checkbox under "Updates".

16. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

Currently there is firmware 6.0.90 and it tells me there is no update, I don't find any option to enable beta updates, please tell me where to enable it?
    Thanks

17. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

You need to tick the beta checkbox under "Updates"

18. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

Can you tell me the path please? Because I don't see any box to enable beta .....
    Thanks

19. Markswift2003

20. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

I manually put the version 6.3.35_G and now the option is there, this is the latest version right? I saw that there are many settings regarding DV and HDR, I need to know how to put them but I am not able also because most of the menus are not translated into Italian but are in English, I remember with the Z9S with the last beta they had translated everything very well into Italian here instead I find again the menus half in Italian and half in English, we hope that with the next updates they can sitemare .....
    Thanks