Stuttering Youtube

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by shapecharger, Jul 7, 2016.

1. shapecharger

shapecharger New Member

Hello All,

Bought a Zidoo x6 couple of days ago. Noticed that the official youtube app is stuttering at 1080p, and even at 720p. I have updated the firmware to the latest available.
    Is it something only I experience or a general issue? Is there anything I could do about this?

Thanks in advance

2. phyle

phyle New Member

Hi.

I have same issue. I bought Zidoo x6 pro few months ago and I noticed this issue. its really irritating. Please note that this is not with internet speed as I have fibre broadband and connected with LAN I was waiting for a update and yesterday I upgraded to new firmware and the stuttering is still there.

This issues is with Youtube APP from PlayStore as well as default app OG youtube.

Kindly fix!!

3. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Hi guys,
    May you tell me which country are you live in? Are you sure the youtube is smoothly through PC?

4. shapecharger

shapecharger New Member

I live in Hungary, and I have a 120 Mb/s high bandwidth connection, and youtube is working fine on my android phone and PC. It is definetly not a buffering issue, I even allowed it to load up the whole video before starting it, but it made no difference. If I lower the resolution the video becomes smooths again. the stuttering itself is not like it stops completely, but the playback is not fluid at all.

5. cobra78

cobra78 Member

I think a lot of users have this problem.

It feels like the following, I just use an example but it can be any frame-rate.
    Eg. 720/1080p Youtube videos that are 25fps feel like they are playing back at 17-20fps and it feels like there are missed/skipped frames.
    The same 720p Youtube videos play very smooth in the Youtube addon for ZDMC/Kodi.

It might be a codec issue, VP8/VP9 or others that Youtube uses.
    Or the CPU/GPU/VPU is not being taken advantage off properly by the Youtube app.
    It feels like the Youtube app is using software/CPU decoding instead of hardware decoding.
    On other RK devices like RK3288 Youtube plays smooth but on other RK3368 devices it also plays slow or with stuttering.

Here they talk about forcing Youtube to display H264 videos instead of VP8/VP9 that slower devices have problems with but it is only for Youtube in a browser.
    Maybe Zidoo can find a way to force smoother H264 playback somehow using the Youtube app.
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/06...y-disabling-vp9-support-in-chrome-or-firefox/

6. phyle

phyle New Member

Thanks for reply. I am from Singapore, Using 1 Gbps Fibre broadband. All My android devices (phones +tablets) all fine and PC and laptop all OK.
    The problem starts when I use Youtube/OGyoutube on Zidoo. Like what "ShapeCharger" explained, it is not a speed/buffer issue as the video will still stutter even if loaded completely.

Zidoo 6pro's hardware strength is way better for playing a youtube video, so I believe its software issue.

Can't it be fixed with a firmware update??

7. shapecharger

shapecharger New Member

I made some research on the issue and it is definetly not Zidoo specific. One forum suggested to enable "forced GPU rendering" in the developer options. So I did that aaand it magically solved the problem. Videos are completely smooth even at 1080p.
    I had limited time to test it so I just merely hope this option won't mess up other applications.

8. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Very interesting! I'll check ASAP.

Edit 9/7/2016: I already had activated "force GPU rendering" on my X6 for other reasons.
    Today I'll do a test with a youtube FHD video...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  9. phyle

phyle New Member

Thanks SC. I have enabled GPU rendering but sadly no luck. still the same.

Can you try watching this video :
    ( Search : Sharp Aquos Full HD 1080P Sample video test )

On youtube App, its horrible. But on Kody youtube it is perfectly smooth.

Well.. I still like youtube app. wish there is a fix.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  10. phyle

phyle New Member

just noticed that 1080p videos are out of sync in Kodi/xmbc youtube addon.

11. fatih

fatih New Member

x9 device 11:23:55 YouTube version, the same problems have also been installed to spite me, 1080p does not open
    ,( x9 cihazda youtube 11.23.55 surumu kurulu olmasina ragmen bende de ayni sorunlar var, 1080p açılmıyor)

12. phyle

phyle New Member

Anyone have tried enabling "force GPU rendering" and tested? It didn't work for me. 'ShapeCharger' is that still working good for you ? did you change any other setting? could you please post your method?

13. cobra78

cobra78 Member

Enabling GPU rendering actually makes the whole UI slower.
    I don't think there is a solution to fix it otherwise Zidoo would have done it long ago when people reported it.

14. shapecharger

shapecharger New Member

Hello,

I did not change anything apart from enabling force gpu rendering, and I confirm it still runs 99% smooth. I did not experience any UI issues, however I'm using Squarehome2 launcher, not the Zidoo default. I tried various videos and all plays almost perfect. I can see some stuttering here and there but it is insignificant compared to where we started

15. hieuhien.vn

hieuhien.vn Member Beta test group

Hi guys, I see some people have this issue with youtube like me on ZIDOO X6 PRO, but it seem nobody believe about that :)
    I have a method to resolve this problem, it work on all my X6. The current version of Google Play store on firmware v1.0.39 is 6.7.xxx and this version have issue with Youtube on X6, before it running 5.xxx without this issue.

So I was try to install the newest version of Google Play store for it to test and so wonderful, Youtube was working smoothly after I install the latest version 6.8.xxx of Google Play store. I was test on more ZIDOO X6 PRO and all of them playing video so smooth on Youtube.

You can try to install with this APK: https://goo.gl/TTKEdq or you can download on other website, search the latest Google Play store.

Anyway, I think the issue is from the libs of the current Google Play store version on X6 now, I don't know exactly what is it but this is my method to resolve this problem. Please test it, if it working with everybody, ZIDOO should update this version for the next firmware of X6. Thank you!
    @shapecharger , @phyle

16. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

17. phyle

phyle New Member

hieuhien : I have upgraded to latest playstore version 6.8.20. Youtube still stuttering.
    Let me try what ShapeCharger suggested, changing the skin .
    I will update the result.
    :(

One question, do you guys set the display "auto"/ 4k / 1080P ?. I have currently set to auto. though I have tried 1080P and still stuttering.

18. hieuhien.vn

What is the firmware version you are using now? Now, try my way, update to the latest version 1.0.39 the reset factory, after that install playstore version 6.8.20, install the latest Youtube + Google Play Service from PlayStore, restart X6 and open Youtube and try again.

19. Alex

Alex New Member

that's good for YouTubeTV ZIDOO

Attached Files:

20. hieuhien.vn

Hi @phyle , @shapecharger
    Please help me to test that, I hope it can resolve your issue with Youtube, follow these steps:
    1. Go to Setting -> App -> Uninstall the current google play service (Uninstall update version). It will comeback to version 8.3...Waiting for a few minutes to uninstall.
    2. Install this google play service version for it: https://goo.gl/COKgx6 . Waiting for a few minutes to install.
    3. After finish, close all current apps running on your Zidoo X6 Pro and Restart.
    4. Play a video on Youtube and let me know about the result.

Thank you!

freeroc likes this.