[SOLVED]: Z9X, unable to connect to the TrueNAS SMB share

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by YujiTFD, Sep 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. YujiTFD

YujiTFD New Member

SOLUTION: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...t-to-the-truenas-smb-share.90715/#post-160086

Greetings.

I have totally fine working TrueNAS server with SMB shares. Shares are R/W-accessible from the bunch of devices: Windows PCs and laptop, Apple TV, Raspberry Pi, AV receiver, etc. I mean, any device I have in my network can access aforementioned SMB shares unless it has been denied specifically.

Today I received my Z9X and it's unable to connect to the server. I tried everything I knew:
    //server
    //server/share
    smb://server/
    etc, both anonymous and root credentials - nothing, still unable to connect.
    What do I do wrong if any other device has no problem accessing NAS shares?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Does the NAS IP address or Network Name appear in the list of devices if you do a full SMB scan on the Z9X:

Screenshot_20210911-190909.png

3. YujiTFD

YujiTFD New Member

Yes, it does. Host's IP is dark, attempt to access it fails with "Unable to connect..."

4. Markswift2003

The IP dark just means it hasn't been accessed yet - if it fails immediately you click on the host it means it doesn't think there is a share available.

Try making a share public and see if that works. If that works, re-establish the username, password and permissions and try again.

I use Western Digital NAS drives and although it's fine with a password protected RW share, I just use public shares to make life easy.

5. YujiTFD

YujiTFD New Member

They're already is: all shares are publicly accessible for both reading and writing, no permission required. I know I should be able to access my NAS, but I honestly have no idea where to look, since every other device has access.

6. Markswift2003

Don't know what's going on here other than the Zidoo doesn't seem to like the protocol used by TrueNAS - I just tested both newly created password protected SMB shares with permissions and newly created simple public SMB shares and the Zidoo connected to both fine...

I think we need input here from someone else using TrueNAS...

7. YujiTFD

YujiTFD New Member

Yes, it seems to be a TrueNAS issue, since my Windows share works fine.
    It's really weird though, because I never seen anything like it and I had lots of enviroments in testing.
    I will definitely reply here with acquired data.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  8. YujiTFD

YujiTFD New Member

OK, with the hint from TrueNAS community I had it solved, but, man, it's weird.

So, at the moment of writing, in order to access SMB shares from Zidoo Z9X, TrueNAS owners has to enable Network -> Global Configuration -> NetBIOS-NS option. Enabling SMB1 is NOT neccessary, as it seems to be that only Zidoo's SMB scraper is unable to access shares without legacy NetBIOS advertising, while SMBv2/3 requests are being handled with no problems.

Can this situation be relayed to the developers, since relying on insecure legacy services are not really a good thing? It's really weird since having SMBv2/3 support AND requiring legacy service availability is, well,.. weird :confused:

9. Markswift2003

Great! Glad you got it sorted.

Netbios, although a legacy service, is still quite widely used and in the home environment, not really an issue, but you're right, access to shares shouldn't be reliant upon it.

10. YujiTFD

YujiTFD New Member

Well, let me rephrase: SMBv2/3 support should also include WS-Discovery ALONG with NetBIOS NS.
    Yet again, to my meaning, NetBIOS belongs to an SMB1/NTLMv1 era, and while backward compatibility is a must, new products should implement modern protocols/services support by default.