(SOLVED) Handbrake encoded Blu-ray passthrough audio not working

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Enet, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Enet

Enet Active Member

So I'm using Handbrake to encode my blu-rays. I use H265 and audio passthrough. Picture quality is great but the player can't decode the audio. Mediainfo says the main audio is DTS-HD. I play it on my PC my receiver says it's DTS-HD. When I play the files with Kodi it says DTS-HD. The Zidoo details page says it is DTS-HD. But when I play the film, it only sees the AAC tracks.

I've been encoding and re-encoding thinking the issue was my Handbrake configuration but the problem seems to be the Zidoo player. Before I took the attached some pictures I tried renaming the file extension from MP4 to MKV. The only difference that made was to hide the AAC audio details from the Zidoo details page which is strange.

IMG_20211214_163607.jpg IMG_20211214_163512.jpg

2. Gelto

Gelto Member

Try to encode directly into mkv container via handbrake, DTS-HD MA inside an mp4 container doesn't sound so good ;)

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The codec in the first screenshot is shown as Mp4a - this is AAC so it looks like Handbrake is messing up the reported audio codec. The codec should be A-DTS.

As @Gelto says, you should certainly export as MKV since MP4 has constraints with audio codecs.

You can't just change the file suffix from MP4 to MKV since they define the container. If you want to go from MP4 to MKV you need to use something like MKVToolnix to do it.

Enet likes this.
  4. Enet

Enet Active Member

It works for every other player so the issue is not the container. Plus it takes about 10 times as long to encode into MKV because it doesn't use NVENC encoding. If there
    Damn! I missed that encoding error because other players have no issues playing the files. The problem with encoding into MKV is that it doesn't seem to use hardware encoding. It takes about 15 minutes to encode an MP4 film using H265. It takes about 90 minutes to do the same for MKV.

But I will convert one of the MP4 files to MKV and let you know. Thanks :)

5. Markswift2003

I used to use Handbrake years ago but I switched to Staxrip (using NVEnc) - that has no issues encoding in hardware to MKV.

Enet likes this.
  6. Enet

Enet Active Member

First of all your suggestion works. Secondly when Googling I saw the name staxrip, now I will try it. Thanks again :)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  7. Markswift2003

You're very welcome.

Enet likes this.