Simultaneous WiFi and Ethernet Connection?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by Itch, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Itch

Itch Member

I recently purchased a DMP-A8.
    I initially used the ethernet connection during the set up process.
    During the set up process for WiFi, I was prompted to disconnect the ethernet cable.

The Eversolo Control app functioned well when connected to WiFi.

I plugged the ethernet cable back in and lost the ability to use the Eversolo App on my iPhone.
    (I do have Spotify Connect functionality through my phone over WiFi)
    There is a prompt to "Wake-up using WOL" and it does power on the device.

I also have a Cambridge CXNv2 - it allows simultaneous connections.

Am I missing something in the set up?

2. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

I have the A6 and the situation is the same. If you want to use WiFi then don't connect an ethernet cable at the same time. Pick one or the other, don't mix.

Itch likes this.
  3. Itch

Itch Member

I appreciate the reply!

To confirm.
    The APP only works when WiFI is used?

4. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

The App i.e. the outside controller app on your phone or tablet will connect to your router by WiFi as usual. But your DMP device connects with the router either by WiFi or wired ethernet. As long as everything is on the same LAN, then no problems regardless of the connection type. Spotify Connect won't care either, your phone or control surface is not in the stream sending audio to the streamer, your router is.

Itch likes this.
  5. Itch

Itch Member

I am sorry that I am not following....

When the DMP is connected to ethernet the Eversolo App is not functional - even though my entire system is on the same LAN.
    As I mentioned above - the only functionality of the App is the ability to "Wake Up using WOL".
    Once a wake there is no further functionality of the App.

6. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

If everything is on the same network, then your phone or control surface should see the DMP-A8 and connect to it. I assume if you are using WiFi on the DMP-A8 then there is no ethernet cable connected and the WiFi switch in its settings is ON. I suggest you look at your router management page and check that all devices are really on the exact same network. I am assuming you have already given the DMP-A8 the network credentials name+password to enable it to connect. You won't need to do that step if you direct wire the connection.

Itch likes this.
  7. Itch

Itch Member

I have the house to myself this weekend (no family interruptions!)
    I will experiment then.

Thank you very much for your patience and responses!

8. Itch

Itch Member

My last post was premature...

Wouldn't the fact that, when the DMP is connected to ethernet, I am able to use the 'wake' feature
    imply that I am on the same network?

9. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Not sure about that. The A8 manual says this feature requires you to use a wired connection. If you connect wired and manually turn on the A8, then the router has to give it an IP address, then it is on your network. Check that your router does indeed list the A8 and that the IP Addr is the same as on your A8 screen. I only have the A6 and it doesn't have the WOL feature.

Itch likes this.
  10. Itch

Itch Member

Much appreciated!

11. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

If your A8 is wired it will have a different IP address vs a wifi connection….
    Try deleting the Eversolo app on your phone , reinstalling, and try again.

the app will “lock” on to whatever IP address the A8 had when you first set it up - wired or wifi.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    Itch and Jjb067 like this.
  12. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Assuming once you have made your choice you won't be fiddling around and about the network... every time you switch (for testing purposes or whatnot) between wireless and wired LAN, do a reboot of the Eversolo, and then rescan the network Q-barcode.
    I know it's far from being perfect, but it is how it works, at least as of now.

BTW, if you are more than 2 walls away from your router, and have the possibility, go WIRED. Cables don't bring in any audio noise. TCP/IP is data - either you get it right, or not! not analog audio that can be gotten, for example, distoreted or noisier!

Itch likes this.
  13. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

All my streamers are wired … I’ve never had good luck with wifi - even when the streamer is 3 feet away from the router - dropouts and hiccups.

they are all wired to ASUS “nodes”.

bk

Itch and Nutul like this.
  14. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Careful, sometimes (well, more often than not) being too close to the emitter (router) has the countereffect... be at least a couple of metres away. And due to all kind of pollution nowadays I would consider haw=ving a WiFi in the 5GHz band, not the classic 2.4... too crowded.

Itch likes this.
  15. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

very true , I have experienced that as well ..

moot point though , they’re all wired - even though my routers are wifi 6.

bk

Nutul likes this.
  16. Itch

Itch Member

I had some time to test...

I decided to do a factory reset on my unit.
    Deleted the app.

DID NOT attach the ethernet cable.

Set up WiFi
    Used the Scans to establish the app and the connection to the unit on my iPhone.

Everything connected and was functional.

POWERED OFF THE UNIT FROM THE APP

- Unfortunately - I CAN'T POWER ON THE UNIT FROM MY APP (iPhone).

17. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

How do you expect a powered off wi-fi to be operating and reachable by your phone?!?!?!?

18. Itch

Itch Member

It is really POWRED OFF?... It's really in standby isn't it? The volume ring is dimly illuminated....

How about it wakes up with a signal over the wifi network from the app.

19. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

The instructions state that the A8 has to be connected to network via Ethernet to “wake on lan”…
    Otherwise, the remote will wake it up.

Bk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    Itch and Nutul like this.
  20. Markfisher702

Markfisher702 New Member

Checked this thread after changing my DMP A-8 from wi-fi to a wired network connection and my iPhone app quit working.

I ensured A-8 “wi-fi” was still turned on with wired connection showing as active then deleted / reinstalled the iPhone app. Fixed it.