Shield Pro to z9x

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Grayson, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Grayson

Grayson New Member

I currently have a Shield tv pro and I've just purchase a DV oled.
    I will be mainly playing DV files for a external hdd. I've tried playing them on the Shield via plex and it's very hit and miss.
    Will I get better results if I went for the z9x?
    Also I hear for 4k hdr and DV content the z9x has better picture quality compared to the Shield. Is this true?
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  2. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Yes. I have found DV Profile 7 playback to be unreliable on the Shield. Sometimes, I needed to restart the movie several times for a DV title to start playing correct. No such issue on my Zidoo.

Better or not is subjective. Some people insist that there can be no picture quality difference between different media players playing the same file. However, most people here will say that the PQ on Zidoo is better. I suggest that you judge by yourself.

Grayson likes this.
  3. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I used PLEX, Kodi, and JustPlayer on Shield Pro and had flawless playback on all apps for all things SDR, HDR, DV, Atmos, DTS-X, and anything else I threw at it. At the end of the day though, Z9X supports full BDMV folders (80% of my movies) and has slightly better PQ than Shield Pro (my humble opinion) so thats what I am using now and Shield Pro is on sale.

Grayson likes this.
  4. greenfish

greenfish New Member

I went from shield to z9x:

No more stuttering
    No more ads
    No more "buffering" (i have 2 switches and local smb, shouldn't happen)
    Superior local playback
    Better picture quality

Still shield is a beast, just wish nvidia marketed it better and provider better support.

crutzulee, Grayson and Markswift2003 like this.
  5. Grayson

Grayson New Member

Thanks all. I've ordered.

rozel and AngryVirginian like this.