Share internal memory

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by xxxxx, Mar 21, 2017.

1. xxxxx

xxxxx Member

It's possible to share the folders system (android) of Zidoo in home lan? Now i see the SATA disk only.

2. xxxxx

xxxxx Member

Impossible?

3. maruiz

maruiz New Member

With FTP is possible

4. xxxxx

xxxxx Member

it's complicated?

5. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

Have you tried with OpenWRT?

6. xxxxx

xxxxx Member

Yes, i have tried in the samba settings to share like the other unit (sata/usb hard disk) but don't works. there must be some settings that I do not know or maybe it's impossible.

7. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

samba is not the same as FTP. It will work with ftp. but probably not with samba

8. xxxxx

xxxxx Member

Too difficult for what I need. Thanks anyway.

9. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

to activate FTP you need 2 settings. turn it on. select a user. Done. access to internal memory

10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Should work with Samba too. Do this with all my media players with exception of those who moved over to OpenWrt for SAMBA/FTP etc.

I don't say it is over complicated now, but using an entirely new and incompatible user interface is not what customers expect. Reminder: it should be possible to configure these options using the supplied remote control only. Please give us back the old communications Gateway APP available for X9 till the basic communication features can be controlled using Android setup just using the included IR remote control.

Tried to install the old communications APP for X9 on my X9S which installed fine, but it refuses to be activated when started. Should be very simple to enable X10/X9S and X8 also if it still is compatible. Lots of customer will like this.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  11. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Yes. You are making no sense

12. Nice Monkey

Please tell me then how I activate FTP and assign a user using the supplied remote as suggested by you?

Presume I am a customer who just got my shiny new player out of the box but who does not own a PC. Plenty of those around and the potential number of customers like that is growing very fast. In the western world the population is aging fast (needing simple interfaces) and in the new world many people own a TV and a smartphone but very few have a PC too.

Zidoo wants simply to ignore all these potential customers? I can assure you competitors like Egreat don't. Making any sense now?

13. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

it can be done if you really wan't to. no one stops you from accessing localhost using the browser on the x9s

it can be done even on the phone, 10 times faster using the touch screen

14. Nice Monkey

Admit it!:D It can technically be done, but to call it intuitive and simple as the mentioned target customer expects it?:oops:

The other question remains. Can we get the old simple APP back till a simple "Settings APP for WRT" is made available? A yes/no will do.

15. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Openwrt will never be simple. unless zidoo decides to build there own " network functions" , like they did with x9,
    There is also the matter of remote, it's a media remote, designed for media use, if you really want more function, you get a air mouse. Or dedicated mouse+keyboard. Would you fell better with no openwrt implementation just because the media remote was not designed for it ?

They designed the box with openwrt to take place of the x9 app. so probably not

16. Nice Monkey

Agreed Open WRT is far more powerful and a nice to have for the whizkid/advanced customer doing complex things. Realtek added OpenWrt to their SDK to widen their potential customers base (said so on their site explicitly when launching their new SOC). For far of the majority of customers just being able to enable SMB/FTP already will do. The good old X9 APP was more than adequate for that. To remain with the proven simple old APP or go for the stable but complex and with a very different look and feel OpenWrt was a free Zidoo choice. In fact I would have enabled both in parallel (provided it is technically possible which I think is simple to be achieved). Don't throw away your old shoes till you are comfortable with the new ones is my motto.

I personally do have a Pointer mouse with keyboard, PC, RC Box on my smartphone etc, but that is irrelevant as I am talking for the many customers that don't.

17. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Well, that costumer that does not have a PC, RCbox, smartphone, etc, probably has no idea what openwrt is, and also probably does not need it.