Searching for JUDAS (Z1000 Pro nightmare Open Box from Futeko)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by nc88keyz, Jul 15, 2021.

1. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Ok who sent back a Z1000 Pro to Futeko that had a bad ethernet port. i am convinced this box has burned up a 16 port switch, and maybe an 8 port switch as well, I have tried two new switches out of the box, and all new pre-terminated cat6 cables, vs my self-terminated cat5e cables i have had for 6-8 years that were al fully functional. It reboots my eero mesh, asus router, and freezes everything wired and wireless about 10-15 seconds after boot. Have troubleshooted and reflashed factory firmware from the OS level, Advanced settings level, removed duplicate IEEE ID in my router table, and replaced with my Z9X (everything returns to normal). I just want to know who did it. Speakup Judas if you bought one and returned it! What a living hell this has been thinking everything I am doing , and just missing something simple. No issues with a Z9X, X9S, or Z9S. Pretty Box, but pretty evil problem.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

What you're describing sounds almost like a DOS attack - it'd be interesting to connect that box to Wire Shark and see what's going on!

When you say "burned up a 16 port switch", what do you mean? I've seen single ports damaged on switches due to malfunctioning equipment, but never a whole switch and that's generally down to over-voltage.

3. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Well the behavior is the same on any switch. but I am not about to keep swapping them out. Always lost a 100 switch that was in known perfect condition since 2006. Right now using a 25.00 tp link from home depot and its doing the job but that is what is available in town locally besides best buy for twice the price for a netgear prosafe GS308 which. It might be hard to set up Wireshark with a non functioning internet within 10 15 seconds of connecting thr ethernet to the z1000 pro. It does auto pull from shopping server and adding gateway dns. If there is something sinister in the firmware that futeko loaded on the box. same as most recent beta btw, the only way to possible rule that out might be a TTL flash. but I am not doing anything without their blessing on that or zidoo tech that the box will be taken care of and replaced. Too expensive to explore without a guarantee and I am on the consumer side of this within ebay guarantee.

4. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Markswift2003, Attempting emergency flash from fat32 usb, install.img and manual usb update to latest beta, network is disconnected for both ethernet / wifi. I want to try to make this work but I am not a miracle worker.

I do have wireshark set up but my knowledge is very limited other than I know the IP and MAC ID of the z1000pro on my network. I have used it before buts its been a while. If you want to step it out for me , i would try. but I have successfully flashed back to factory install img and updated to latest beta now.

Wifi: connected and seems to be operating normal / NFS / SMB / Query in poster etc.
    Ethernet: connected and seems to be operating normal / NFS / SMB / Query in poster etc. Scanned 145 films. No issues. Playback seems to be fluid.

What on earth could have been residing in the image that would have caused the network to break like that. I checked all the obvious stuff, duplicate ip conflict, mac id conflict, static hostname / ip conflict / logs in router etc. I use asus merlin branch FYI, it might not be the latest version but its pretty recent. All has been stable for close to 20 min now.

Status: I have an appointment at 1pm, will get back to it in a while to dig further, but for now it seems to be cured. Simon from Futeko recomended the usb fat 32 flash to factory and then reflash latest beta again, but is / was also willing to pay postage to return the unit as well. It was purchased through Futeko ebay store. I will update more as I discover.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  5. Markswift2003

Well that's a really weird one.

If you want to shark it you need to mirror the packets from the Zidoo to the PC running Wireshark.

This is how you do it with a GS724T. This mirrors packets from input 9 (Zidoo) to input 1 (PC running Wireshark):

upload_2021-7-15_18-35-10.png

Then you need a rule or two in Wireshark defining what to look for, as a very simple example:

ip.src == 192.168.0.63 (address of Zidoo)

Then you can further filter from there.

I only know the basics of Wireshark but it's incredibly useful - back in the early Z9X days I used it to nail the packets which at the time were causing video glitches with IPv6 connections.

6. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

I used it last time to circumvent zidoo deactivation scheme of ourglass x9s clones after they ceased activation of them. Yes it can be a convenient tool but I just don't use it that much. I have wiped the image now. Shucks. Will update more. I have some time to address if I need to return it. the DOS suggestion is interesting. That could be by macid. ip or Trojan virus maybe on the image?

7. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

As we have already told nc88keyz by email this box was fully wiped and flashed with latest firmware before resale, as are all the used items we sell on Ebay.

I find it very unlikely that Z1000 Pro could have caused physical damage to network hardware in the way described.

Sledgehamma, Mabon and Markswift2003 like this.
  8. Markswift2003

Agreed - the only way something like that can happen is a physical issue on the network card leading to an over-voltage and that would have to be one hell of an issue! Certainly since the box appears to be functioning now that seems to completely negate that unlikely scenario.

Also, switches (and certainly Netgear Prosafe which are what I use) have isolation protection on their ports so if one is presented with a over voltage it'll generally kill that port but not the whole switch (up to certain levels of course - I wouldn't recommend ramming a mains cable up it to test!!)

Absolutely no idea at all what happened here.

Mabon likes this.
  9. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

I am going to disagree since the only activity causing the switches to go haywire and blinking all ports rapidly and then taking my mesh off line ( that is in bridge mode) and my router, and every device on my network, wired or wireless was the z1000 pro open box unit. I reflashed router firmware, reset my eeros thinking if any trash was on my network or stuck in packets or logs, it would have flushed it. i purchased a new switch, replaced all ethernet cables 5 of them plus the uplink to the switch, and same behavior , used eflash image, and then updated to latest beta and scanned 1000 poster entries. have tried apps, chrome, music, video power off standby and shut down, all seems to have disappeared, i think any sane person would have just sent it back in which Futeko (simon) would be footing the bill for return postage. I have spent 18.00 on postage to replace the 16 port switch under warranty. I have purchased 36 worth of ethernet cables that were likely not the issue. and purchased a new switch as well while troubleshooting it. I can use the switch for a room I am working on, but overy all I would say it was a pretty garbage experience in dealing with Futeko. First response was you can send it back or keep it and try to e flash it. ked simon to think about the money i saved him on rt shipping, the cost incurred and the 10 hours of troubleshooting time wasted as well to resolve the issue. you can agree or not agree that it would be worth a partial refund , particularly from someone who would likely continue to suggest and do repeat business with the company. As a buyer I had a right find out what could be done to make me whole. As a seller Futeko (Simon ) can state no. I wasn't going to air dirty laundry on this post of my communications between Simon and myself but since he replied first so I thought I would share. If you are in the US I would consider other dealers perhaps. I only did it because it was open box and won at a decent price. Not sure it was worth the $110 discount now though. Ive been dealing with these boxes long enough to know what occured was not normal. i feel the box was flashed with latest firmware, I do not feel the box was imaged back to the boot image from release or per zidoos instructions. There may have been some remaming data on that did not get wiped. There could have been an activation issue as well if that is still a thing with zidoo. I have only seen that with the clone boxes from years ago though so doubtful. Chalking it up for what it is.....an anomaly of sorts, but it did leave a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. Future busines from Futeko is unlikely for me and I would caution if you are not closer to where they are based. One last note, a fried switch can occur from rapid activity , Switches get hot when they are doing something they are not supposed to do, and when i opened it up that was clear to me what had happened. One heat sink was extremely hot and there was crud all over it. It was on a surge protecor / not line conditioner and not a UPS. There were about 7 other devices including a nuc, shield, oppo 203, appletv, and a firestick power supply connected into the same surge. Nothing else was damaged via ethernet, or power brick. And netiher was the zidoo ultimately.

As far as Futeko, there was no offer for a partial refund, no offer to swap for new and collect old, no offer to upgrade to a UHD3000 maybe ( paying a premium). nothing other than attempt to eflash ( link provided) or return with postage paid. I expected more I guess as I know they are close with Zidoo and forums across the internet.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Tarantula likes this.