Screensaver using Google DeskClock?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by Nice Monkey, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Is it possible to implement the Google Screen Saver function?
    This for players being in Menu Mode over a set threshold.
    It is useful for e.g. OLED screens avoiding burn-in and asked several times on the forum.

Android has build-in features for this but the screensaver is called for typical Smart Phone states.
    I installed the for free official Google DeskClock from the Google Play Store which by itself is a nice APP. Recent versions can be controlled nicely using the standard Zidoo Remote Control for all features including an advanced help. This APP has also a built-in Screen Saver using a floating digital/analog clock.

The only thing that needs to be done by Zidoo is calling the Android screen saver when appropriate. Under Android Setup the DeskClock can be configured as the screen saver but is set automatically already when the APP is being installed (default =DeskClock). The only way to get it going now is manually.

Zidoo might consider bundling this really nice clock APP when adding the screensaver calls.

For those liking the idea (or not) just let it know here.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. Nice Monkey

Screensaver is included with Android 9 (RTD1619DR models).
    It runs then with Google Daydream which is very nice obviously.

After installing Google Clock also that can be set as the screensaver APP under Advanced Settings.
    Google Clock uses a lot less power on a OLED TV and that big floating clock is a really nice alternative.

If it ever comes for older Android versions I doubt.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  3. Johnwoto

Johnwoto Member

will the screensaver run when a film is paused ?

4. Nice Monkey

Surprise surprise the screensaver now also is available for all RTD1296 models with the new FW 2.3.35

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  5. Johnwoto

Johnwoto Member

That's good about time - Does the screensaver initialise when a film is paused I wonder - Will be surprised if it does

6. Nice Monkey

No it does not, but it works with Music Player when not touching controls.

7. Johnwoto

Johnwoto Member

That's a real shame - Well, we're half way there then - Lets hope Zidoo will sort this out but not going to hold my breath