Ripping DVDs

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Mabon, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Mabon

Mabon Active Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I always rip at the native resolution. To be honest, it probably makes little difference these days, but it means a smaller file size and it just feels right maintaining the original resolution and let the source, or better still, the display, do the upscaling.

That said, I use StaxRip (with NVidia hardware encoding) and on the occasions I've changed resolution (admittedly usually downscaling stuff the kids want to watch), it's made a great job of it.

3. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I would want to have my video (and audio) untouched, and let the TV upscale. If you convert then it's stuck with that quality.

I use MakeMKV, you can choose to rip only the movie and deselect all unwanted audio or subtitle tracks.

Mabon likes this.
  4. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

MakeMKV is really the best method as it doesn't re-encode or do anything to the quality. Quality In = Quality Out. Same with size. I've used it to repackage all my DVD's and Blu ray discs to MKV. It's worth buying a license to support the author rather than having to update the registration every 3 months.

Mabon likes this.