Red Flash During LLDV with Dolby UHD Demo

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by NatX, Jun 8, 2023.

Tags:
  1. NatX

NatX New Member

Hey all, trying to get some help here because I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.
    When I view the Dolby UHD Demo Disc (Mar 2018) there is a dolby vision demo called Core Universe.

I have tried player custom EDID LLDV and using LLDV over a Vrroom but no matter what, within the first 18 seconds, the whole screen turns red for a split second. Seems to be the way the player is decoding the frames and red just goes full on without the other colours (happens in very dark scenes). Screenshots attached for your reference. At the 2/3 mark of the video, the whole screen flashes again but this time I can't recall if it's green or blue.

The video chain I am using is as follows:
    Zidoo UHD3000 > Marantz AVR > HDFury Vrroom > JVC NZ7
    When I tried the LLDV method with custom EDID with custom Gamma curve as MarkSwift proposed I remove the Vrroom from the chain.

Can anyone offer some help? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1583.jpg IMG_1585.jpg IMG_1586.PNG IMG_1587.jpg IMG_1588.PNG IMG_1589.PNG IMG_1590.PNG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Don't worry about it - this has been mentioned before and despite the fact it's from a Dolby disc it's to do with poor authoring.

If you extract the enhancement layer from this video and play it back, you see a blue field flash at the same point (remember this is just a 1080p "difference" signal).

This blue flash which is actually encoded into the enhancement layer video is compensated for by the RPU in the full DV file but because the Realtek 1619 does not decode the enhancement layer, the RPU is compensating for something that isn't there, hence the red flash.

Although there were some badly authored discs in the early days (Saving Private Ryan, Power Rangers, Total Recall spring to mind) the problem seems to have been sorted and I haven't seen one for a long time. And I've certainly never seen this problem in any other commercial disc.

To see what I mean, have a look at this file - As fair use, it's the first 30s of the enhancement layer only without any Dolbyness:

https://mega.nz/file/8XoiAAiJ#W6Y2v_3eYBCJ-v-lFzG7jMTmeSuCeY0ktEesnLzaIdw

3. NatX

NatX New Member

Hey Mark, thanks so much for this and for taking the time to respond and enhancement layer video to allay my concerns.
    Makes me itch to want to go in and just remove that frame and reproduce the video so that others wont fall into the fallacy of thinking something is wrong with the otherwise brilliant zidoo players.
    You saved me from buying a Dune (nearly clicked "Buy") and thankfully I didn't since it's Realtek 1619 based...
    Thanks Mark!